Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I did do a search but it didn't give me much useful info, mainly what I'm looking for are pics. I was watching video of myself climbing Guardrail at Tellico (pretty steep slick climb) and was suprised to see how much wrap I had up front. I'm running a Sam's style bar in the rear and it works well there, but I have pretty limited room up front for a crossmember to mount that style to. Does anyone have pics of using links to solve this problem?? RE 4.5 YJ springs are pretty soft and this wasn't a problem before my engine swap but now it's bad. I know part of my bouncing is do to aired down tires and sidewall flex, but the pic of my pinion facing the ground is what concerns me.

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
I noticed the wrap in the front last trip out as well... so far no carnage and it's being going down and up violently....

...I`d like to here some ideas too

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
:confused: :confused:

Just make a traction bar like the rear and mount it on the front. Two point at the axle and 1 at the shackle end. You can just change the planarity of it to fit the front if needed. Instead of a verticle attachment for the two front points go horizontal if it will fit better.
Easy as pie!

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
Understand the idea.. thanks..

Does anyone run one up front.. or is there a reason that the front handles the wrap better and isnt breaking u-joints/yokes.. ?

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
My guess as to why the front handles it better is that the front isn't under as much load as the rear in situations that will cause wrap/hop - like when you're trying to power up a rock. Most of the stress is on the rear in that kind of situation.

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
That is true Mo :)

So I guess the conclusion is.. the front may wrap but the stress is no where near what the back receives.. hence the reason you don't here about everyone breaking the front u-joints/yokes from
axle wrap..

Now... if im in Front Low only... hrm.. new storry I bet.. hehe

:eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem is I really don't have room for the shackle part or to build a crossmember to support it. Has anyone used links like two of a 4 link to perform this??

·
Registered
877 Posts
On all the leaf rigs we run we run a Traction bar up front for this very problem. Even on my Comp. YJ witch is sprung under up front we still run a traction bar. You can run the front bar both ways provideing you determain the amount of arch deflection your springs have. Find out just how much your spring length changes through suspension cycle and make sure your shackle has the same amount of movement. You want your shackle at the stationary mount of your spring just like the rear but I have ran it both ways and it works the same. On our comp. rig the front traction bar is only about 15" long and is designed to preload the front under power. Makeing it suck down with the force caused by the pinion rotation. Hope that makes sence.
You could use links and duel shackle the front but if I were to go through that much work I would coil it. You could also build a single radius arm on one side like a Rubicon TJ front arm and atatch it to the outside of the frame but that would hurt your clearence in my eyes. You could just use bushing mounts at the axle and a heim at the frame. Sorry for the spelling I am in a hurry and can not spell for shit anyways.

Nick

·
Registered
384 Posts
Got any pictures? im working on antiwrap for my CJ and am still looking for the right idea.......

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Bigred84cj8 said:
Problem is I really don't have room for the shackle part or to build a crossmember to support it. Has anyone used links like two of a 4 link to perform this??
What about running a mini version of the Sams bar on the front side of the axle and attaching to the front crosstube, ala a Toyota traction bar. I would get creative about how you mount it so the shackle would not hang down. You may also have to build a stand on the axle housing to raise the bar up over the steering.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i run one in the front. i do not have any pic's but it is the same design as i run in the rear (sam's style). it works. you can not use a crossmember but you need to run a beefy mount on the side of the frame. if it is not beefy enough you will riip it off. ask me how i know. :D i ran one on my jeep for the last couple of trips and was very impressed with how it worked. i am currently building a new rig and it is going to have one.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Im haveing the same problem on my *gulp* straight axled S10, I still havent decided how I want to build it. Some one surely has a pic of there setup on here right?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have lots of pics but do not know how to get them here. Also I am not at a place where I can get the pics due to the fact they are all on disc and all at my house. I will look tonight and let you know.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
High5 said:
i run one in the front. i do not have any pic's but it is the same design as i run in the rear (sam's style). it works. you can not use a crossmember but you need to run a beefy mount on the side of the frame. if it is not beefy enough you will riip it off. ask me how i know. :D i ran one on my jeep for the last couple of trips and was very impressed with how it worked. i am currently building a new rig and it is going to have one.
I agree an xmember is not needed. I run my traction bar off a piece of 1 1/2"_.065" square tube welded to the frame. It is about 6" long and has one 1/2"_.065" square tube gussett triangulating it to the frame. Light and strong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts