Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front axle 1967 Cevy 3/4 ton

I can pick up a 67 Dana 44 for a project I am working on and I need to know if the 67 front 44 axleshafts can be narrowed at the differential end. The axle is a closed steering knuckle but my Motors manual shows it has spicer type open u-joints for the steering end of axles. So it can be narrowed as far as the axle tubes are concerned but is there meat on the shafts to cut and respline or are they necked down not allowing shortening.
??????????????????

A good digram-photo-picture from some tech site would probably benifit. Is there one on line??
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Find a later model axle housing, the housing you have cannot be easily narrowed mostly because of the closed knuckle, but the axle shafts will have the smaller u-joint and be narrowed down thru the whole length, the later model shafts can be resplined ilf you are going to narrow about 2.5 to 3'' per side and they will have the larger 297 u-joint.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
KWTMECH said:
Find a later model axle housing, the housing you have cannot be easily narrowed mostly because of the closed knuckle, but the axle shafts will have the smaller u-joint and be narrowed down thru the whole length, the later model shafts can be resplined ilf you are going to narrow about 2.5 to 3'' per side and they will have the larger 297 u-joint.
not nessarly

if you have acess to a lathe it can be done easly

and if its the large ball 44 it has biger U joints then the oplen knucke u joint but the dra backs are turning radus is not as good, drum brakes

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can use lathe..............I am machinist...............tell me more.....please????

It looks like the knuckle has a male end that sticks in the axle tube from what I can tell from the cross sectional view in Motors manual. This vintage has the u-joint and not the Zappa balls or what ever the hey they are....like the early ones.

Big question is can the shafts be narrowed okay????
Dave

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
wolfthing 2000 said:
Can use lathe..............I am machinist...............tell me more.....please????

It looks like the knuckle has a male end that sticks in the axle tube from what I can tell from the cross sectional view in Motors manual. This vintage has the u-joint and not the Zappa balls or what ever the hey they are....like the early ones.

Big question is can the shafts be narrowed okay????
Dave

yes it can bee narrowed give Dutchmen a call (sp?)

if your good with math its not a problem

but unless you got this axel for free I woulent bother

cut off the amount off at the axel tube and mesure from the weld that holds the "ball" to the axel tube. Now that thats been cut off throw that ball on your lathe and turn down that weld till you see a crack all the way around where the weld was. Now seperate the old pice of tube from the ball. The ball has a lip that slips into the tube. Take your ball and slide it into the new axel tube and mesure it all squre with the corect caster etc. Now weld it done

pic bowerd from a site

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/dana44.html

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the picture and the good spirits on doing that 67! I guess I am just enough off of many peoples example of normal, that I will go through with this venture, it kind of goes along with the SM 420 and the Rockwell transfer ( Timken " 4 leaf clover " ) that I will be using that came from the same truck that the 44 is from. Old school all of the way!!!!! Closed knuckle okay!!! Where do I access more of those pictures.
Incidently , my wife asked me a few years ago what my Indian name is, she is native American, so I told her:

:eek: CRAZY WHITE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :rolleyes:

She has called me that for years in humor and got a big kick out of me taking the name on as a handle.

Anyway thanks again from .......................Crazy Whiteman!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.