Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TG +3 rock assault with stock mini knuckles and OG long fields.
Problem is, when I go to bolt up the spindle, the birf binds. I can notice a ~7/64" gap between the spindle and knuckle. It doesn't sit flush until the bolts are driven in.

The shafts seem fully inserted and trunnions were shimmed properly. I read that there is some grinding inside the knuckle ball on the axle needed for proper long field clearance. Is this what I need to do? Don't want to remove what I can't put back.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
First time with the trail mart housing???

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Yep, need to be ground!!

1. Spray paint the inside of the knuckle!!

2. install Birf and spindle!!

3. Turn Birf, if you cannot turn it back off spindle nuts until you can!!

4. Take off the spindle and Birf!!

5. Using a die and a carbide burr. grind, check, until it turns without scraping!!

6. If you go to far, you will come out the other side, that would suck!!

7. Call TG and ask for Matt, tell him what a fine quality, precision POS the housing is, he likes feedback!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, first time with the housing. The long side needed a boost to get through to the 3rd member ;)

I'll get to grinding and report back.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Good luck setting the third gently into the housing.

O.p.
I dunno who was it that had the clearance details on their site?
Longfeild or marlin
Check into it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Really??? Phawk that is just bs.
So who is the other company making mini axles?
Looks like there next on the list, having to cut 15\32" off the carrier is b. s. (Matt if yer watching:flipoff:)
I aint buying your junk again.

O.P. Sorry for the rant.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Yep, need to be ground!!

1. Spray paint the inside of the knuckle!!
just got a ruffstuff housing with RCV inner axles, it is doing a similar thing. rotates fine but when i turn the hub left to right you feel it get stiff. thanks for the paint idea, totally didn't think about doing that.

77.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried the paint and grinding inside the knuckle. First I ground down the high spots, but tightened, spun, removed, and no paint wear.
Ended up shortening the shaft ~0.080" and now it chooches just fine..

·
Registered
999 Posts
just got a ruffstuff housing with RCV inner axles, it is doing a similar thing. rotates fine but when i turn the hub left to right you feel it get stiff. thanks for the paint idea, totally didn't think about doing that.

View attachment 2929528
Wait a second. I thought Ruffstuff reused your old knuckle balls when they built a housing. WTF?

Maybe they just have a stack of old knuckle balls laying around that people have sent in and there's no guarantee you'll get your own back? Oh, the thought of messing with some stranger's balls! :barf:

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Wait a second. I thought Ruffstuff reused your old knuckle balls when they built a housing. WTF?

Maybe they just have a stack of old knuckle balls laying around that people have sent in and there's no guarantee you'll get your own back? Oh, the thought of messing with some stranger's balls! :barf:
You have to cut your knuckle balls off and send them in

·
Registered
999 Posts
You have to cut your knuckle balls off and send them in
I was assuming you would cut off the knuckle balls you were using with whatever birfs you were using. When the new housing came back, it should be exactly the same outer set up you had before. I'm also assuming you would only change your inner shaft to make up for the extra length of the housing.

In other words, nothing has changed in relation to the knuckle balls and birfs to make them rub. That's what I found puzzling. I must be missing something. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts