Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a buddy went out for a little butterball crawl before thanksgiving dinner. Well it turns out something had to break and make us later for dinner. Here is where i need some help. On the driver side of the front axle something is majorly wrong. AS i was driving home it started to making scarping noise and what not it sounded like a little mud being scraped off the front disc brake. By the time we got home 5min later we jacked it up and you can move the whole tire around. The inner axle shaft moves the hub disc everything you can wobble around. It sheared wheel weights on the back side of the rim and while resting in its parking spot the top part of the tire was jacked out. Any help would be great. I am guessing that the wheel bearing is toast.
Also does anyone know the size of the spindle nut?
Thank you

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
Might help if you told us what vehicle/axle you have. The chemical in turkey that makes you sleepy also decreases ESP powers. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
230 Posts
The threads are the same size as a standard Dana 44 spindle nut. But IH has a different design that uses set screws to lock it in place. I couldnt find one localy, so I bought the standard kit with two nuts and a lock plate and had to face off the outermost nut to half its thicness in order to make it fit. Im sure some one here knows where to order an IH style nut set. The real question for you is "What else is screwed up in there???"

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Sure sounds allot like TOASTED wheel bearings to me.

BTDT, lack of maintenance (and water crossings :D) issue.

Question is what else did you toast. For me it was the wheel hub, and brand new locking hub, brake pads.......

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually it is not really a lack of maintence issue. it was servived about 1000 miles ago. The bearing looked ok so we just greased it. Apparently not. i sure hope nothing else is screwed up, besides having to get my wheel re-balanced.

·
Registered
11,609 Posts
might help if you took it apart to see what is wrong :p

From your description sounds like your wheel or spindle came loose - not much else would let it wobble like that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfotunately i didnt have enough time to take it all the way apart before i had to be home for thanksgiving dinner. I was just curious as to what it could be before i went all the wayback there to work on it. Yup sure enough it was an inner wheel bearing. Turns out no parts place in town bearings fit on the first try. o well we got it thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts