Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im new to pirate I have an 85 4runner 22re spring over with 35's welded rear end TG front bumper and im getting ready to tear into the front end and replace all seals and bearings. my question is has anyone ordered the front axle service kit from 4wheel parts? if so what did you think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the guys at 4wheel parts said their kit comes with KOYO wheel and trunion bearings so what are you really paying for when u buy marlins kit? the 4wheel parts kit is $112 after tax and the marlin kit is $179 plus shipping

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I will never shop at 4wheel parts. Those guys are assholes here at the Portland Oregon store at least the two guys I talked to there were. You buy from Marlin your supporting a great company, fellow wheeler/crawler, and a person/company that's a fairly big impact on the offroad community.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will never shop at 4wheel parts. Those guys are assholes here at the Portland Oregon store at least the two guys I talked to there were. You buy from Marlin your supporting a great company, fellow wheeler/crawler, and a person/company that's a fairly big impact on the offroad community.
@ 85dhor I agree with you one hundred percent the problem right now is money. im home one break from college and only have limited funds at the moment. i would wait till summer and do it the "right" way when i get back to work but im getting ready to drive it from Olympia WA to Spokane WA which crosses a pass and I 90 is generally covered in snow and ice during january and my breaks pull extremely hard because the left side is getting doused in gear oil every time i drive it

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
The Marlin kits have better inner axle seals. But I dont know if that is worth the extra money to you. I support the small company over the large though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it kinda sounds like you made up your mind. Does the kit from 4wheelparts come with all bearings trunion and wheel, all seals even the hub ones, rings and felts, and knuckle shims?
the guy kinda sounded like an idiot on the phone, he said it was a full axle service kit but kept calling it a knuckle service kit so tbh im not sure what all it comes with. i had to put $50 down just to have it ordered in and it will be in monday so i guess ill see then. he said i was just paying for the name with marlin but i dont really buy that. ive only heard good things about marlin

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I'm betting 20$ that it's without the wheel bearing so it's just the knuckle service kit. The reasoning behind what I said about marlin Is why next rebuild kit I get will be through him. I've already trashed the TG stuff in 5 trips. Hopefully you get lucky and it's everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm betting 20$ that it's without the wheel bearing so it's just the knuckle service kit. The reasoning behind what I said about marlin Is why next rebuild kit I get will be through him. I've already trashed the TG stuff in 5 trips. Hopefully you get lucky and it's everything.
well man i think ive been convinced. im gonna cancel the order through 4wheel parts tomorrow and order the marlin one. do u normally order through marlin offline or go to a retailer?

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
the guy kinda sounded like an idiot on the phone, he said it was a full axle service kit but kept calling it a knuckle service kit so tbh im not sure what all it comes with. i had to put $50 down just to have it ordered in and it will be in monday so i guess ill see then. he said i was just paying for the name with marlin but i dont really buy that. ive only heard good things about marlin
If this is what you ordered it looks like you will get everything you need.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...t.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=101152&t_pl=102636

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
well man i think ive been convinced. im gonna cancel the order through 4wheel parts tomorrow and order the marlin one. do u normally order through marlin offline or go to a retailer?
I'd go through them I dunno of any retailers search here there might be some.

If this is what you ordered it looks like you will get everything you need.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...t.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=101152&t_pl=102636
There's no wheel bearings in that kit..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cool, just about to tear my front axle down for my SAS. Ive never tried to tackle tearing apart an axle. But I searched pirate and quite a bit of info came up. 4x4wire.com has a great write up. Also check YouTube, "wheeliepete" has a few great vids going step by step, and he has some quick tips like the "camo" method for tearing apart the axle down to the birfs with relative ease. Learned alot from the vids so hopefully this weekend I'm gonna tear down and start a rebuild. Sorry for the off topic:flipoff2:

Back on track:
Bought my sas kit from TG came with a complete rebuild kit. They sell for $80. COmes with EVERYTHING but bearings...or you can get the kit plus bearings for $149. (don't quote me)

Don't for get the 54mm socket you'll need... TG has for $11
:flipoff2:<< All you trailgear haters

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
damn man i looked all over that sight for a pic of that kit and couldnt find one thank you but ya i dont see wheel bearings so i think im gonna cancel it and go with marlin. thank you guys a really appreciate the help
You said money is tight so you can get a set of wheel bearings from the auto parts store and still end up saving money.

Funny I just ordered the Marlin kit a few hours ago, but If $$ was a big issue it can be done cheaper. Make sure you have the correct tools; snap ring pliers, 54mm socket, brass drift, etc. It will make your life much easier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool, just about to tear my front axle down for my SAS. Ive never tried to tackle tearing apart an axle. But I searched pirate and quite a bit of info came up. 4x4wire.com has a great write up. Also check YouTube, "wheeliepete" has a few great vids going step by step, and he has some quick tips like the "camo" method for tearing apart the axle down to the birfs with relative ease. Learned alot from the vids so hopefully this weekend I'm gonna tear down and start a rebuild. Sorry for the off topic:flipoff2:

Back on track:
Bought my sas kit from TG came with a complete rebuild kit. They sell for $80. COmes with EVERYTHING but bearings...or you can get the kit plus bearings for $149. (don't quote me)

Don't for get the 54mm socket you'll need... TG has for $11
:flipoff2:<< All you trailgear haters
ya ive only owned IFS yotas up to this point too im getting ready to tear into my first straight axle in my 85 4runner. but ya ive been watching the "wheeliepete" videos they are extremely helpful

1 - 20 of 34 Posts