Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to the '87 axle on my '93 YJ...

Is the ujoint on the front axle (in the steering knuckle) on my current axle a 260 or a 297? When did they make the switch?

Thanks again!!

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
The front u-joint went from 260x to 297x for the '95 YJs. All TJs have the 297x u-joint.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, you're right. I called the parts store and they list the same joint for '87 and '93.

Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Is there an easy swap to do? Like, grab the shafts out of a '95 and plunk them into my '91?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by wrangler40:
<STRONG>Is there an easy swap to do? Like, grab the shafts out of a '95 and plunk them into my '91?</STRONG>
Exactly, only difference would be if you have the vacuum disconnect, cant remember exactly what year that went away, I know my 90 xj had it. If you have the disconnect you have to install a seal in the axle tube to keep all of the oil from passing through and have to make a block off plate to seal the hole up.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
KS is right!

I think I heard somewhere that that it wasn't until the 95 1/2 models (yea, go figure) had 297's regardless of ABS or not.

My buddy has a 95, with 297's, but no abs. And I believe the build date is June or July 95.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Is it possible to use the shafts with the 297 ujoint from a YJ, TJ or XJ in a CJ D30? I imagine they're longer and you would probably have to get them cut down and you would have to go with a different stub axle (scout?), but is there enough room in the knuckle? Does this sound like a worthwile upgrade? (PS. don't bother posting if your answer is to go d60)

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: Grandpa Jeep ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yup!
I've got 95 YJ axles in my Comanche,and they have the 260's. w/axle disconnect takes the big holed seal.one piece axle retro-fit requires the small hole seal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts