Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished off the front bumper for the heep today.

I just need to get the tube work done when I can make a trip down to Sylvan Lake to visit Brink_.

I cut the plate out, and drilled holes in all the corners of the cut-outs. I then connected the "dots" with a zip disc on a grinder, then made it look nice with a die-grinder. Big pain in the ass, but it's worth it for the pretty holes.

I had it all tacked together for a test fit.

Ok, fits good! Took it off to weld it, and put it on the jeep again to use a bumper until I work on it again.

Made the clevis tabs out of 1" thick QT100 plate, drilled 1" holes in them and welded them on, and welded up the whole bumper. I then spent a bunch of time cleaning up all the welds and spatter.

All done now but the paint and the 4 holes for the winch mount. The top plate that the winch mounts to is 1/4", the fairlead mount and formed bottom is all 3/16". There are also 1/4" doubler plates inside, opposite to where the clevis mounts are welded on for extra assurance.

The winch plate is not removable obviously, which means you have to remove the bumper to get the winch off. This is by design so it doesn't get stolen.

You can see the full gallery of images here: http://myjeeptj.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=13496

Let me know what you think, it's my first crack at a bumper, but I do work as a press brake operator so I know this stuff pretty well. The design is similar to the one from SniperFab, but it's designed from scratch by yours truly. I got a ticketed welder in the shop to do the welding for me.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Beautiful work. The only thing that would make it better would have been if you ran the clevis mounts through the bumper and bolted them to the frame. Face welding to a piece of 3/16? is on the hairy edge of what I'd consider strong enough for a tow point.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
X2 on the face welding of the recovery points. Looks great though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful work. The only thing that would make it better would have been if you ran the clevis mounts through the bumper and bolted them to the frame. Face welding to a piece of 3/16? is on the hairy edge of what I'd consider strong enough for a tow point.
X2 on the face welding of the recovery points. Looks great though.
Yeah I thought a lot about that.. That's why there is a doubler pad behind it, so it's essentially welded to a piece of 7/16".

We build fullsize semi trailers at work. Trailers meant to haul 70 ton machines on the highway. There are trailers that get lugs on the back that are 1/2" thick, that we use to lift the entire trailer in the shop. Some of these trailers weigh 40,000 lbs.. The 1" thick lug on the bumper will far exceed any load that I can put on it with a winch or tow strap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Or one of the guys in your club could buy a bender!

Very nice job.
Brink is in the club, and he has a bender... just too bad he lives in Sylvan. There is at least one other guy with a bender too, but I don't know his work. :p There are a few guys interested in buying a bender, so we'll see about that. I'm buying a used welder from work, so with some practice hopefully I can start welding my own shit.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. :smokin:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Some of these trailers weigh 40,000 lbs.. The 1" thick lug on the bumper will far exceed any load that I can put on it with a winch or tow strap.
Maybe, maybe not. In truth, most of us overbuild the structural components on our rigs, and it might be useful to design a little "give" into the system. (Do you want to bend the bumper or bend your frame if a pull goes bad?). Either way, I'd be more concerned about shock resistance instead of the bumper's ability to withstand a simple static load. The component won't necessarily fail the first time, but it can potentially fatigue and crack.

Beautiful work, especially cleaning up the edges with your grinder. Nice CAD drawings, too!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe, maybe not. In truth, most of us overbuild the structural components on our rigs, and it might be useful to design a little "give" into the system. (Do you want to bend the bumper or bend your frame if a pull goes bad?). Either way, I'd be more concerned about shock resistance instead of the bumper's ability to withstand a simple static load. The component won't necessarily fail the first time, but it can potentially fatigue and crack.

Beautiful work, especially cleaning up the edges with your grinder. Nice CAD drawings, too!
Yeah I see what you mean, but I'm not quite sure how you would design "give" into a tow point. Weld a 1" thick clevis onto some 12 gauge? :p

Put it this way, the welds themselves will hold far more than needed, and there are a total of ten bolts holding it to the frame (6 of which are 1/2" grade 8, and 4 which are 10mm grade 10.9 metric). The first part to give will be the strap, then after that the clevis itself.

I would hope that this would be the order in which you would want it to give. The strap snapping by itself will cause far less damage than any other component of the recovery giving way.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah I see what you mean, but I'm not quite sure how you would design "give" into a tow point. Weld a 1" thick clevis onto some 12 gauge? :p

Put it this way, the welds themselves will hold far more than needed, and there are a total of ten bolts holding it to the frame (6 of which are 1/2" grade 8, and 4 which are 10mm grade 10.9 metric). The first part to give will be the strap, then after that the clevis itself.

I would hope that this would be the order in which you would want it to give. The strap snapping by itself will cause far less damage than any other component of the recovery giving way.

Thanks for the comments.
Sheet metal would make an awesome bumper! :D

"Give" doesn't necessarily mean weak... if the frame yields at 30,000 psi, some other component might let go at 20,000 psi. Depending on the design, it could be thousands of pounds of force before that happens. For example, on my Jeep, I'm purposely running 1310 U-joints so they (theoretically) will fail before I start twisting axle shafts apart -- yet they're still strong enough to withstand the torque from a diesel engine. I don't account for shock loading, because that's another beast altogether.

But yes, I definitely agree that the tow strap should be the first part to break. Stranger things have happened, though.

Thanks for describing how you have the bumper attached to the frame... I was going to ask you. Fasteners are a good thing. :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Bumper looks really good. Keeping it tight to the frame on the sides is a good idea. That bumper would be a money maker. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Bumper looks really good. Keeping it tight to the frame on the sides is a good idea. That bumper would be a money maker. Just my two cents.
That is in the works. I'm going to get a business license soon, and I have a welder on the way for the garage. I know I don't need a license to build a few bumpers for the locals, but I do want to be able to write off the welder and tools. :p

you should throw a built in steering box skid too.
That's in the works too. I'll weld it on to the bottom of the bumper and have it attach to the steering box via bolts. That way it's "removable" by taking off the bumper if you need access to the steering box. I also plan on integrating a radiator skid. I've seen first hand what happens when the radiator gets pushed into the stock mechanical fan.. KAPOW! :eek:

This is my first real thread on pirate, been lurking for a couple years now. I honestly didn't expect this sort of response. Both the criticism and comments are very much appreciated. <3

·
Registered
331 Posts
Can it be built without the fairlead mount? If so, I would be interested in one for a YJ. Same basic design, just no fairlead mount or allowance for the swaybar. Let me know if you get interested in selling some. I've been looking hard for something similar.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts