Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 TJ and was looking for some bumper build threads. I've looked around a lot and seen a few but cant find any complete ones. Looking for ideas on how everybody mounts them im assuming most just use the stock mounting locations but i would like something stronger than that. I was thinking something like the one at fabwright.com here. Any responses welcome.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
This is the inside of my YJ bumper, not much different from a TJ though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so using the stock 3 bolts is whats most common and then the winch plat has frame mounts also or just the bumper mounts? thanks for the quick and informative responses.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Go buy yourself 6 1/2" Grade 8 bolts and throw those torque headed POS's as far away as you can! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rox how much steel did that bumper use? like 1 sheet? and what kinda steel 1018 or a-36? im using http://www.speedymetals.com/ for price comparison if he try's charging me too much ill order from them they arent far from me so i do have to pay shipping.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Rox how much steel did that bumper use? like 1 sheet? and what kinda steel 1018 or a-36? im using http://www.speedymetals.com/ for price comparison if he try's charging me too much ill order from them they arent far from me so i do have to pay shipping.
Not near as much as you think. Fully welded its about 75 lbs and its out of 3/16 a-36. I think I can get about 4 bumpers or close to it out of a 4x8 sheet. But you have to fit your pieces wisely to conserve steel (I have templates I lay out and trace).

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
On the bolts, I reused my torx bolts on the tow hooks because I figured it'd be harder for a tweeker to steal that way. Everyone has a 3/4" wrench of some kind. Winch, bumper, and tow hooks could be gone in a couple of minutes.
Travis..

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
On my bumpers you have to remove the bumper to remove the winch. And unless they have a wratcheting 3/4wrench its gonna take them awhile to remove the bumper. We have tweakers here too...... ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is the inside of my YJ bumper, not much different from a TJ though.

Can you send me these pics? I could see them in the post a couple days ago, but for some reason they are not showing today. [email protected]

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts