Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I broke one the the studs in the diff(ones that hold the leaf pack on)
and cant all of it out. I have drilled most of the stud out and have even tried every EZ-out there is to get the rest out. I have ben given several opinion on what to do from here, but this is a 60 front housing that idont wanto mess up. What have you guys done here that works, and what is your feeling on a heli-coil to fix the problem? I have to do this correctly, money is not an issue here. So please dont let that be the decieding factor. This is a narrowed D-60 housing so thats why is so important to not mess it up. thanks for any and all help here. -Josh

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I just had the exact same issue about a month ago. After spending 4 hours trying drills, ez outs, torches, etc... I finally gave up and used the helicoil repair. I've been on one trailride and it held up fine, the second ride is coming up this weekend.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I've become a big fan of welding something (say a nut or similar) to the broken off part BEFORE drilling, EZ-outs etc. The heat will break the broken part loose and the nut you weld will give you something worth wrenching on.

Sounds like you're way below the surface where that would work good, so I might try a reverse drill bit.

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
drill most of it out and re tap the hole the same size

this will likely clean out the old threds

·
Registered
153 Posts

i had the same problem but with both bolts.. i used the largest ez-out i could find. i heated up the area with a small propane torch and i tapped on the side of the housing with a BFH and slowly worked them off.

·
Registered
302 Posts
you need to go and get a huge u bolt and grind into the diff a little and make a new spring plate. I have seen this happen several times I will try to get a pic of what I am talking about and send it to you if I can

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
mbryson said:
I've become a big fan of welding something (say a nut or similar) to the broken off part BEFORE drilling, EZ-outs etc. The heat will break the broken part loose and the nut you weld will give you something worth wrenching on.

Sounds like you're way below the surface where that would work good, so I might try a reverse drill bit.
I looked at doing that, but the problem was that the bolt was broke off about 1/2" below the surface of the housing. You could have only welded a very small nut onto it and still be able to get a socket on it.

I also tried drilling out almost all of the stud and using the original size tap but just couldn't get the tap to start straight.....it's like it would hit the remaining stud material and bind it up. Of course, I may just not have any skills either.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
One of the guys that runs mud out by me completly tore up his threads with easy outs trying to fix that. He filled in the hole like a rosset weld, drilled a completely new hole and tapped that instead. I would try that last though. Also smore's idea was good. Less likely to brake next time. I bet the studs statrted to back out some, than fatigued. If you do get new studs in there, throw a small tack weld on them so they dont back out.

Charlo

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
6.2Blazer said:
I looked at doing that, but the problem was that the bolt was broke off about 1/2" below the surface of the housing. You could have only welded a very small nut onto it and still be able to get a socket on it.

I also tried drilling out almost all of the stud and using the original size tap but just couldn't get the tap to start straight.....it's like it would hit the remaining stud material and bind it up. Of course, I may just not have any skills either.

Ahhh, but you could have welded the small nut to the existing stud, then welded a larger nut to the now welded small nut.....you've got some heat, you've got something stronger to torque against and you're in better shape than you were. (unless you welded either nut to the housing, then you're fawked)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
ive always had good luck with machine shops getting out those really hard bolts. they usually have the tools to make it a lot easier

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I tried everything on this. Really, I did. I had two other guys that do this kind of work everyday helping me(I'm no slouch) and it just got out of our hands with getting the meat out with out destroying the threads. I was able to get two different EZ-outs stuck to the point that they needed some "assistance"to get out.I guess the housing is giving me payback for the abuse! So after muc work to not get anywhere I called a machine shop that we have used and spoke to them about this problem.They are wheelers and have an understanding more then most. I ended up taking the axle to them and fixing the problem for good. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. -josh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts