Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put a dana 60 front out of a 76 f250 highboy into my 77 f250 lowboy w/dana 44.I believe the 60 has drum brakes and my 44 has disc brakes for sure besides spring perches what else needs to be changed in order for this swap to work and also is it even worth the time and effort?

·
Registered
602 Posts
A caliper bracket welded on for disks and a disk kit if you want that, gear ratio, driveline may need a bigger u joint for the 60. Definitely worth the effort if you ever beat on her off road, if it's a pavement pounder leave it and ship the 60 to me, I'll pay shipping:D

Didn't know about the weaker shafts of the older 60 compared to the hp 44, Alpo is right then, not worth the effort,

What size tires do you run and plan on using in the future??

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
repolord said:
I would like to put a dana 60 front out of a 76 f250 highboy into my 77 f250 lowboy w/dana 44.I believe the 60 has drum brakes and my 44 has disc brakes for sure besides spring perches what else needs to be changed in order for this swap to work and also is it even worth the time and effort?

If it is a 1976 it will have discs, not drums, IF drums then it is a 1975 D-60.

You do not need to change the purches for the springs. same width and location.

But why, you are going from a HP D-44 to a low pinion D-60 with weaker shafts than the D-60 you are thing of. It is not worth the effort.

Eric

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Yup, all pre 77 Ford front D-60s had lower spline count, smaller shafts, not much better than a 44 really. I'm sure this is all covered in Billavistas Dana article. Leave it where its at and get a later model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input. The 44 is shot and the 60 is good and also free, im running 4:10 gears with a 4 speed and i have 35'' tires. Im pretty sure the gear ratio is the same although i'll make 100% for sure if i swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts