Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did a search, came up with nothing much, will a waggy 44, go under a 78 CJ7 with ease? What needs to be done, do the springs need outboarded? Is there a waggy front end that will work better than a chevy full width, I want it to match the rear model 20, this guy will be running 38's so we need a better front end. Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes the springs need to be outboarded on the waggy. Not on a chevy, but you need to narrow the long side about 4" to get the spring pad to line up under the frame. I hope your talking about the waggy model 20, cause if its the cj 20.:nuke:
You'll probably be pushing the waggy 20's limits with the 38's, I'd look for a 60 or C&C 14 bolt and start saving for ctm's and alloys for the front.

-Jeremy

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Rat Patrol said:
Yes the springs need to be outboarded on the waggy.

-Jeremy
Uh, no. I found a front 44 out of a Cherokee (1974), shortened the long side 4" and it'll fit without outboarding.

My concern would be this.

If it's a 78 CJ, you have the narrow trac axles. I don't think you are going to be able to shorten a 44 narrow 'enough' without cutting both sides. This makes it tough if you want to keep that rear end. (Which I would suggest against, if it's a CJ20)

Just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Jeepmangled87 said:
Oh, and yes its a narrow track, I think we will just go with 8 lug44, and a rear 14 bolt, thanks.
Meyer on the board is doing the same thing. If you find a Chevy full width, cut it down, and a cab-n-chassis 14 bolt, you'll be pretty damn good, and you won't have to outboard.

Out

·
Registered
384 Posts
that 44 will not hold up with 38's if its locked. i run 36's and break stock axels a lot. im going with toms sleeved u joint next time to see if that holds up better. i have many friends with 38's on a 44 and they also break lots. the warn shafts and CTM's seem to be holding up but i dont have that much cash yet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
looking to see if he has a web page or maybe a ph number. ill get the info asap.... basically he replaces the needle bearings with a sleeve and welds them in. the shafts break before the u joint or ears at least so far. he is known as capt america in the rock crawling circut. lives in washington somewhere.

·
Registered
384 Posts
hip said:
that 44 will not hold up with 38's if its locked. i run 36's and break stock axels a lot. im going with toms sleeved u joint next time to see if that holds up better. i have many friends with 38's on a 44 and they also break lots. the warn shafts and CTM's seem to be holding up but i dont have that much cash yet.
try this number: 425.770.2233

1 - 13 of 13 Posts