Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you make a Front Dana 44 from a 86 Grand Wagoneer (6 on 5.5) to a YJ bolt pattern (5 on 4.5). I'm only asking because I already have a rear 44 with 5 on 4.5 and champion beadlocks with 5 on 4.5 and want to upgrade the 30 front to a 44 without having to buy new shafts for the rear and new beadlocks.

If this is possible what parts will be needed, can you bolt the dana 30 outers onto the 44 housing. I've also heard something of using some doge outers but don't know how this will work (does the wagoneer 44 take the same size ball joint as the dodge knuckle)?? What year dodge parts??

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
What size tires are you running? My advice would be to just keep the D30, and replace shafts/ujoints as needed, until you are in the position to afford new wheels.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some Mid 80's dodge 44's had a unit type hub on the front of them and maybe 5 on 4.5". It was a bad design... It's kinda like a Yj, where your hubs are always locked. The knuckles might be funny and hard to set up a high steer, but that might not be an issue for you.
I don't think it's possible otherwise... IF you re-drill the regualar hubs and rotors... the bolt pattern is too close to the hub to get a lug nut on. That's why I think the dodge 5 on 4.5 has the unit style hubs/rotors.....

·
Registered
700 Posts
Actually it was like 75-79 that Dodge offered it's D44 with the 5 on 4.5" pattern, but the rest was accurate

·
Registered
230 Posts
It does kinda suck that it's covered every week... but, if not this stuff... what would everyone talk about...!?! If only something absolutly new was ever posted... i think the one new post every couple days would make it pretty dead in here... and that's not good either... :rolleyes:
late 70's.... Hmmm.m right... they changed to the 5 on 5.5 in 80 didn't they...

·
11,310 Posts
The easiest conversion, if you are planning to keep your beadlock wheel is to get a set of spacer adapters, about $130 bucks, from 6 lug to 5 lug 4X 1/2. You will gain an extra inch width in the front, which is alwasy good (no pun intended) :D On teh other hand, make suer that the Waggy axle you got is not one that has a vacuum disconnect, otherwise, you are wasting yoru time IMO.

Another route is to look for a Early Bronco Dana 44, 5 lug, but CJ pattern,a dn get a spacer adapter as well, or just get your axles redrilled in teh front (i.e. MOSER, etc), for about $100. If you are doing that, get an estra set of axles, or at least one outer, and do it at the same time.

If you are running 35 inch tires A), use TJ inners and outers whih are stronger and have 297 u joints, or B) carry an extra set of inner and outer axles already asssembled and ready to put on. Most likely yu inners will get scrwed up when your u joint brakes anyways.

Good luck,

Gui

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm in the same boat of swapping out the D30 for the Waggy D44.
I'll stick to the easy route and purchase a set of wheel adapters (6 on 5.5 to 5 on 4.5" ) for around $210 shipped from AIM.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
GFL putting those adapters on a 5 on 5.5 front, or even fitting a 5 on 4.5 wheel over the 44 hub.

Just put adapters on the rear (they also make a good one called a 9"), buy new wheels, and do it right.

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
Ummmmm Just a quick question.... If you are going frrom 6 on 5.5 to 5 on 4.5 using adapters, is thier some sort of special way they are making it so that the external hub can fit through the center hole in the adapter? Because I know that the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern makes too small a hole for the larger hubs to fit through. Just a question.. Maybe I don't understand?
Scott

·
Registered
230 Posts
Like I said... The only way is the dodge stuff... the hubs are bigger than a 5 on 4.5" circle and will not work... Can't people Fawkin read... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Some people are doing to much:smokin: and need to get there head out of their asses.:mad:

·
Registered
416 Posts
wiringnatzi said:
Can you make a Front Dana 44 from a 86 Grand Wagoneer (6 on 5.5) to a YJ bolt pattern (5 on 4.5). I'm only asking because I already have a rear 44 with 5 on 4.5 and champion beadlocks with 5 on 4.5 and want to upgrade the 30 front to a 44 without having to buy new shafts for the rear and new beadlocks.

If this is possible what parts will be needed, can you bolt the dana 30 outers onto the 44 housing. I've also heard something of using some doge outers but don't know how this will work (does the wagoneer 44 take the same size ball joint as the dodge knuckle)?? What year dodge parts??
To keep your bolt pattern, and upgrade to a front d44, you have two choices. 1 Buy a ruby 44 housing and load it, and run your dana 30 outers, brakes and all. 2 Buy a d44 outa waggy, cut it down to match your rear and have the enter c's off your 30 put on it. The later would be the best of these options, I think the ruby 44's are fawked because of the special lockers and won't take regular gears or lockers. That being said, both of the options are buy far not the best, if your gonna stay with a 35 or 37, alloys and ctm's will make it live a while, but buy far the best and strongest would be changin to 5 on 5 1/2 and running the bigger (and stronger) hub.:) EDIT, shit your need YJ shit, forget NO.1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts