Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been lurking at Pirate4x4 for over a year now. One of the best sources of info. This is my second post, so flaming the Newbie is expected!

I plan on doing the Dana 60 SAS. Because I do not want to regret not going bigger, years down the road. (Trying to do it right the First Time.)

I've been trying to get an idea on what Narrowing Dimensions you guys are using for Front Dana 60's. I found some info in the searches, but they are in so many different types of threads it takes hours going through them to get the specific info.

I think in the archives we need a thread to post everybody's narrowing dimensions.

Use the following info:

Which side?
How Much was cut off?
Reason why?
Was it for a leaf or Coil Suspension?

That way, we could have a guide to Narrowing the Front Dana 60 and for Specific Types of Suspensions as well.

Later,

RyanAZ

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
For what it is worth - I am getting ready to plop a 60 in the front of my Ranger, Right now I have about 76" from outside of tire to outside of tire. It seems about right for my body width. I might change the body but if I don't I will stick with the same width.

I would figure out what total width you want with a presumed set of tires and wheels and use that to determine the axle width.

If you can, only narrow one side of the axle, that way you need one custom shaft.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I took a stock Dodge 60 front (78-79 vintage), took 3.75" off the long side, and end up with around a 64" wide WMS/WMS measurement *and spring pad's match stock Toyota.

(Edited - added after *)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
SuperRanger said:
For what it is worth - I am getting ready to plop a 60 in the front of my Ranger
:rolleyes: I hate it when I assume everybody would keep this Toyota Specific Only!

I think "DRM" had a great idea to include the Year/Make the Dana 60 came off of.

Also include the final WMS to WMS results. DO NOT include your Tire Measurements!

I do not think we need to go into different the types of Dana 60s. That is what the Year/Vehicle is for. Plenty of info on that here already.

No need to talk about what if you used "these" tires or "these" rims. Because there are to many variables. Again, Plenty of info on that as well.

Keep it simple like "DRM" did!

Thanks,
RyanAZ

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Kos said:

:rolleyes: I hate it when I assume everybody would keep this Toyota Specific Only!

I think "DRM" had a great idea to include the Year/Make the Dana 60 came off of.

Also include the final WMS to WMS results. DO NOT include your Tire Measurements!

I do not think we need to go into different the types of Dana 60s. That is what the Year/Vehicle is for. Plenty of info on that here already.

No need to talk about what if you used "these" tires or "these" rims. Because there are to many variables. Again, Plenty of info on that as well.

Keep it simple like "DRM" did!

Thanks,
RyanAZ
Awfully pushy for a newbie.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
DRM has the dodge info and VOVA can get you the chevy info. if im not mistaken theyve both cut down the long side to match toyota perch widths...the dodge ends up a little shorter as the perches started further apart...

i think the bible on the front page of POR has the perch widths also?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
theyrenotBoogerWeldz said:
DRM has the dodge info and VOVA can get you the chevy info. if im not mistaken theyve both cut down the long side to match toyota perch widths...the dodge ends up a little shorter as the perches started further apart...
Yup - plus the Dodge is about 2" narrower than the GM anyway.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I cut my 85 Chevy Kingpin Dana 60 down to 62' WMS/WMS and cut it off the long side.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
TXSE said:
I cut my 85 Chevy Kingpin Dana 60 down to 62' WMS/WMS and cut it off the long side.
Quick Question... when you cut your axle down to 62", did you have to have a custom inner shaft made, or where you able to use something from a different axle?

thanks
Yogi

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
yogiaz said:

Quick Question... when you cut your axle down to 62", did you have to have a custom inner shaft made, or where you able to use something from a different axle?

thanks
Yogi

AFAIK - the shortest *stock* (meaning stock for ANY application) is around 32". From there you skip all the way down to short side lengths - all of which are under 20".

BTW - when I took 3.75" off the long side, it was to be able to re-use the shoft side (cast) in spring perch. Any shorter than what I cut off, and you have to start dealing with relocating and fabbing a new short side spring perch - which can be a PITA since you have to deal with the cast section there. The 62" wide version above would have moved the perch all the way over so it was resting on the actual tube, and was no longer located on the cast part - but it looks like he used coils, so he would have had to re-work the housing to mount coil buckets anyway.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I cut down the long side only so I could use the stock short side axle shaft. On the long side I had Moser make a custom 35 spline shaft.

·
Registered
253 Posts
TXSE said:
I cut down the long side only so I could use the stock short side axle shaft. On the long side I had Moser make a custom 35 spline shaft.
If you dont mind me asking... what does a custom dana60 axle shaft cost from moser? I have no idea.. but I usually figured it would be scary! hehe

Yogi

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
DRM said:
AFAIK - the shortest *stock* (meaning stock for ANY application) is around 32". From there you skip all the way down to short side lengths - all of which are under 20".
Spicer PN 660182-26: 32.06"
Spicer PN 660182-30: 24.72"

Those are the two closest to the 30" neighborhood, according to BillaVista's IMMENSE D60 Page. ;)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
TNToy said:

Spicer PN 660182-26: 32.06"
Spicer PN 660182-30: 24.72"

Those are the two closest to the 30" neighborhood, according to BillaVista's IMMENSE D60 Page. ;)
Yeah, well books can be nice, but I can tell you the 32" one you mention is pretty much useless since you can't get them any more :p

That is part of the problem with those charts - they don't tell you which ones Spicer stopped making, just what *was* made.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
yogiaz said:

If you dont mind me asking... what does a custom dana60 axle shaft cost from moser? I have no idea.. but I usually figured it would be scary! hehe

Yogi

I just ordered a custom long side 35 spline and it is right at $200 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
253 Posts
DRM said:

I just ordered a custom long side 35 spline and it is right at $200 shipped to my door.
Thanks,... thats not as bad as I thought. Im tossing around the idea of swapping out the Dana 44 on my Tacoma now for a Dana 60.

what do you think would be a good asking price for a Dana 44, with detroit locker, flat tops, hysteeer, tie rod, 4.88 gears, Warns, and pinion rotated 9*. Its a 60" WMS-WMS out of a Grand Wagoneer. Everything is only 1 year old. I know you can get used axles cheap... but I figured one built and ready to go should be able to get a good amount. yea?

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
There's a 60 in the 4sale section now with your name on it Yogi ;)

I'm keeping my 44 just because I have so much money into it and it suits me just fine really. I'd take a beating on selling it. I would assume th esame for you, but there is always someone willing to pay what you want for it. And parts for a D60 add up FAST :eek:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts