Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to swap in a d300(4:1) to replace my 4.7 tcase for front dig-ability. Right now I have a W56/duals (2.28/4.7), is it easy enough to do a front dig with a manual trans or does the shock load warrant an auto swap?

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
You should stick to gm's :flipoff2:

Toyota cases have no ability for front dig.
Mo'nica :shaking:

you just need to bolt on the cone clutch output mod and you can front dig toy cases :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I have the trail tough disco for my yota cases. Use the shit out of it. Complemented with a cnc turn brakes was one of the best mods I've done to my truck. Especially having a 120" wb

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could have done a TT disco but I found an already twin sticked D300 with gears for cheap. I will be on Toyota axles but FJ809.5 axles and 37s. I figured the D300 has more potential for strength than the toy tcase.

Only looking at a 97" wb.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I always thought about putting a selectable locker in the rear with cutting brakes and seeing how that works. I bet it would be almost as good as front dig.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
I always thought about putting a selectable locker in the rear with cutting brakes and seeing how that works. I bet it would be almost as good as front dig.
Some people prefer that to front dig. I'm not convinced it would work very well with the average Toyota's weight bias. I think it would just drag the 1 tire, but it really depends on the situation.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
that's what i'm going with. picked it up from jeaton and he liked, arb rear, spool front, dana 300. don't think he was running a cutting brake though.

going to arb rear, d300, cutting brakes and detroit in the front with ~120" wheel base and 37" tires, so i'll need all the help maneuvering i can get. plus that glorious not close to 50* toyota knuckle steering potential

·
Registered
176 Posts
Some people prefer that to front dig. I'm not convinced it would work very well with the average Toyota's weight bias. I think it would just drag the 1 tire, but it really depends on the situation.
I tried it and did exactly as you described 80% of the time. Then I swapped in a twin sticked d300 with dedicated cutting brakes and a Detroit locker. I've been very happy with its front dig capabilities ever since.

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
I have never done front digs WITH and auto trans .

I hope your front output has been upgraded, your rig is light, gutless, and has smaller tires, i don't recommend doing a whole lot of front digging with the little Dana 300 personally, one day you will do it and there you'll be, sitting .

Just my .02 I learned from watching others ......

Carry on

·
Registered
172 Posts
300's are alittle tricky to shift. The problem is alittle compounded with the manual. Once you get used to it, it'll be fine. You won't regret swapping. The stock output will be fine, they take quite the beating before they let loose. You will go through lots of front 3rds I do know that... like lots and lots lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have never done front digs WITH and auto trans .

I hope your front output has been upgraded, your rig is light, gutless, and has smaller tires, i don't recommend doing a whole lot of front digging with the little Dana 300 personally, one day you will do it and there you'll be, sitting .

Just my .02 I learned from watching others ......

Carry on
???? I'm 3900lbs trail weight, linked on tons with 39" stickies and never had a problem with the front output in 6 years. I'm certainly not nice to it either. I did make a pinned 3/4" thick inspection cover to firm up the case. My rig is pretty gutless though.

Not saying upgraded outputs is a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even with LC9.5 3rds with only 37s?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts