Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the IFS shaft is junk but if I use a 79-85 shaft, is the only thing that I need to have done to it is to have more slip yoke added or does it need more tube legnth also????

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Don't toss out that IFS shaft, you can still use it! For $280 Jess at High Angle can put a 10" slip spline in it, replace the tubing w/.095 and modify the CV so it gets the needed 30 degree angle.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Originally posted by xextr3m3:
<STRONG>how much would it cost to modify a solid axle drive shaft???</STRONG>

The only solid axle drive shaft that would work is the 84 or 85. Stay away from the 79-83 shafts, they are much weaker. YOu will need to call jess for a price but it's a little less then the IFS shaft swap because the CV allready has the desired angle. You will still need to retube it and replace the slip spline.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Geiger:
<STRONG>
The only solid axle drive shaft that would work is the 84 or 85. Stay away from the 79-83 shafts, they are much weaker. YOu will need to call jess for a price but it's a little less then the IFS shaft swap because the CV allready has the desired angle. You will still need to retube it and replace the slip spline.</STRONG>
Cna places that retube shafts usually add more slip spline? Or do you have to buy a new slip spline somewhere?

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
Originally posted by 85MudYoTa:
<STRONG>Cna places that retube shafts usually add more slip spline? Or do you have to buy a new slip spline somewhere?</STRONG>
If they are any kind of D-Shaft place the will have or can get the long slip. I had mine made at Driveline Service of Sacramento. 84 CV and a Spicer 12" long slip for $275.00. If I were to do it all over I would make a square D-shaft, much cheaper (about $30.00 worth of steel) because all I do in 4 wheel drive is rockcrawl, no high speed driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts