Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to try and replace the front driveshafts on my '90 4runner. V-6, manual tranny, automatic locking hubs. I have found some new driveshafts at my local junkyard, but I have never done this before. Any tips? I also need to replace the passenger side oil seal in the front diff. Any tips there either? I had a grinding kind of clunking noise from the front end of the truck, so the mechanic told me it is probably the driveshafts. I hope the repair goes smooth, but any tips on making it easier would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mud

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
There's only one drive shaft in the front :D

Do you mean axle shafts? The shafts that go from the diff to the wheels?

I highly doubt you have auto hubs. You probably have the ADD system, which disconnects the left-side axle using a vacuum controlled connection. The hubs themselves are permanently engaged with flanges, but can be replaced with manual hubs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've heard that the IFS front will produce some horrendous noise if you don't grease the sterring stops or some shiat like that.
Of course it could be the U-joints in the driveshaft or one of the drive axles as well.
As far as tips for changing the axles, but a haynes manual, its pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
When does the noise occur? When turning? When turning on uneven surfaces? During acceleration? When coasting? In reverse? At certain speeds?

Haynes manual is ok, but often either tells you to do extra steps or leaves out details.

·
Registered
260 Posts
VT_Toy said:
When does the noise occur? When turning? When turning on uneven surfaces? During acceleration? When coasting? In reverse? At certain speeds?

Haynes manual is ok, but often either tells you to do extra steps or leaves out details.

You can't beat it for the price. I found it almost worthless when I replaced my heater core, it had everything wrong. But for a lot of other stuff its really helped. I would rather have the factory repair manual its kind of pricey and at this point my shiat is all mismatched anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts