Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I'm getting alot of conflicting info. I'm building a 1 ton coiled F-250 on 39.5" Rocker's. On my front driveline I'm going to try and run a clearanced 1330 CV, if it doesn't hold up I'll be giving Jesse a call for a 1350 one. My current concern is the front U-joint angle and caster.

Should I run good caster and leave the front U-joint at 11 degrees at ride? Or go for 2 degrees and do a cut-and-turn? If I don't turn the C's I'll be at 22 degrees on the DL at ride and under 30 degrees at full droop with 11 degrees at the diff. If I turn the c's I can pick up a few inches of droop.

Will the clearanced 1330's live in the front on a trail rig with occasional street use? No crazy rock crawling in AK but some of our trails are tough and 100+ miles from a parts store.

My build: http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=30369

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help, it's getting cold...

Wow this forum moves fast. Help me out please!!! Winter is coming quick up here and this is the last this to get the front welded up.

Thanks

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Your build thread link goes to a 3 year old chit chat post?

Bad pinion angle will break U joints, a bad caster angle will make it drive like shit and wander, etc.

Best option is set your optimum pinion angle then check caster. You will probably need grind the welds, and knock the C's with a BFH to rotate the top of the knuckles back to correct the caster angle. (4-6*). Then weld them back up.

If you have hydro steering and it's off road only you *might* get away with having shitty caster, but setting the caster properly will help with return to center and keep the rig tracking straight.

Search for words like "caster" "knuckle" there's a bunch of threads many with good pictures etc.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
do it right ... run good pinion angle and then cut and turn the knuckles if needed ... dont slap it together.

after all of that is done ... give jess a call at HAD and have him set you up with a kick ass shaft ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about the link, lost a number in the cut and paste.
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=30369

I was really leaning toward the corect pinion then cut-and-turn path until Jesse at HAD said not to worry about it. That threw me off so I started asking around. If I had more time at work in the morning I'd give him a call, by the time my schedule clears you guys have gone home for the day.

I appreciate the comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts