Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and can not seem to find an answer. Putting a Ford 60 in the front of my yj and just got the perches and u bolts in today. The drivers inner u bolt is hitting the casting on the center section. Thought I read somewhere that guys have drilled the casting to get the u bolt through. This the the casting on the bottom of the center section preventing the u bolt from coming all the way up. Just want to do it the safest and strongest way possible.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does, but I just got the axles second hand, I never saw how the leaf spring u bolts got around the webing on the drivers side. I have been looking all day all over the place for a clean picture of a yj soa with a Ford 60 to see how they got the u bolt through the webing.

· Registered
107 Posts
Slot...

I cut a slot out of the webbing on my 79 HP44, which from what I can tell by the above pictures is close to the same webbing wise as the 60 you are dealing with.

:beer:

· Registered
288 Posts
Pete, I ditched the square u bolts on my '79 Ford 60. I cut a little notch in the bottom webbing for the round U bolt... I used a longer U bolt with a bigger opening for that spot... maybe 3.75 or 4" dia. It fits snug around the front and back of housing if you can picture that.... I looked through my whole photobucket and I couldn't find a good picture but I could take one if you need it... heres a crappy one. It has worked fine always.

As a matter of fact, if you can wait a little big I am taking all the leaf spring stuff out of mine soon...

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the correct size u bolt, 4in and it is definatly long enough to notch it. Thanks Owen, what springs are they, I still need to get some and if your going a different route that might work out

· Registered
229 Posts
just and fyi on the notch thing... i ran mine like that for years with little issue, but upon disassembly found the the u-bolt had stretched into a v due to having no support under the bends... it didn't cause any immediate problems (but i am very strict about checking out my heep before and after every run) but it kinda freaked me out when i found it... i ended up cutting out that whole piece and running it like that, but i really like the drilled hole idea better... just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.