Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and can not seem to find an answer. Putting a Ford 60 in the front of my yj and just got the perches and u bolts in today. The drivers inner u bolt is hitting the casting on the center section. Thought I read somewhere that guys have drilled the casting to get the u bolt through. This the the casting on the bottom of the center section preventing the u bolt from coming all the way up. Just want to do it the safest and strongest way possible.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The reason everybody wants the 79 Ford HP 60 is because it will bolt up the yj with no mods (other than the TC). Did i miss something ???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does, but I just got the axles second hand, I never saw how the leaf spring u bolts got around the webing on the drivers side. I have been looking all day all over the place for a clean picture of a yj soa with a Ford 60 to see how they got the u bolt through the webing.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
There's a triangular plate thing that fits over the webbing that uses square u bolts just like the newer kp axles from ford ... not sure if it came that way stock or not but it will work

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a triangular plate thing that fits over the webbing that uses square u bolts just like the newer kp axles from ford ... not sure if it came that way stock or not but it will work
Thank you, just need to find that now and see how I can use it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Why don't you just grind out the web or drill a hole in it? That's what we did with this to use regular u-bolts.

It's a 77 ford with a 79 60 front and a 14B rear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I was leaning towards but I was worried about weakening the casting, now that I see that picture that looks like the route I'm going to go. Thanks everybody for the help!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Slot...

I cut a slot out of the webbing on my 79 HP44, which from what I can tell by the above pictures is close to the same webbing wise as the 60 you are dealing with.

:beer:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Pete, I ditched the square u bolts on my '79 Ford 60. I cut a little notch in the bottom webbing for the round U bolt... I used a longer U bolt with a bigger opening for that spot... maybe 3.75 or 4" dia. It fits snug around the front and back of housing if you can picture that.... I looked through my whole photobucket and I couldn't find a good picture but I could take one if you need it... heres a crappy one. It has worked fine always.

As a matter of fact, if you can wait a little big I am taking all the leaf spring stuff out of mine soon...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the correct size u bolt, 4in and it is definatly long enough to notch it. Thanks Owen, what springs are they, I still need to get some and if your going a different route that might work out

·
Registered
299 Posts
just and fyi on the notch thing... i ran mine like that for years with little issue, but upon disassembly found the the u-bolt had stretched into a v due to having no support under the bends... it didn't cause any immediate problems (but i am very strict about checking out my heep before and after every run) but it kinda freaked me out when i found it... i ended up cutting out that whole piece and running it like that, but i really like the drilled hole idea better... just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts