Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
How do I get my front axle seals out? It must be really easy since I couldn't find anything on the search. My other search to find a seal puller at kragen didn't work either. Newbie here. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yup, easiest way, obviously disassemble until axles are out, go to your local parts store, buy the KD or Lisle universal seal puller for well, cheap and pry that seal out. This tool has a metal handle about 12" long and has two black hooks perpendicular to the handle, kind of looks like a lower case "t"

You can mess around with screw drivers, pry bars, punches, chisels, sheet metal screws and drills etc... but this tool makes short work out of it. ANd its really cheap.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I bought a seal puller for $6 for autozone. Definte'y worth the money. You might be able to make one out of a piece of 1/4" bar stock or pry it out with a couple screwdrivers... but at $6 it's just noth worth the hassle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I used a good ole screwdriver and a hammer. Pound the screw driver into the side of the seal making a gap between it and the housing then just pry it out.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Yeah, but wedging a screwdriver between the housing and the seal has a (slight) risk of gouging the housing and allowing gear oil to leak between it and the new seal. ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot guys,
I tried the hammer/screwdriver technique to no avail, on top of a number of other interesting ideas involving: an offset screwdriver, some pliers and a fork with the outer prongs bent like the puller I saw in the parts store that wasn't going to fit. I guess the old saying about the right tools has stuck around for a good reason.
Thanks again

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
I just used a very small crow-bar, pried it right out...

·
Registered
986 Posts
i bent the end of a standard screwdriver over to have about 1/2" bend that went behind the seal and then used adjustable locking plyers to pull it out... this took waaaaaaay to long but worked. next time i am going to buy or borrow a seal puller. it would work even better if there was a weight on it that you pulled back like a dent puller for body pannels.:cool:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I use a puller at the shop, but on the trail I use the screwdriver technique. I put the screwdriver on the metal face of the seal, not against the housing. I then beat it untill it rolls up away from the seating surface. I then beat on the edge that curls up untill the circle caves in. I have probably changed 20 of them this way without damaginga housing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts