Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typical piss poor rot and rust welded spring bolt sleeves arose when myself and my buddy stuck his 4" leafs under my XJ.... in the process, the sleeves came out through the stock mounts when the bolts came out and whack of other issues...

the stock mounts aren't fubar but I know it's not safe.... what is the best way to brace the front boxes? The upper floor is soft... I want to chop it out and throw a beefy plate up top but I don't have the time or the proper tools just yet....

I was thinking angle iron and plug welds, I read through Go-Jeep's mount lowering write up and that also seemed like a decent guide to follow but he used all flat stock and owns much nicer tools then I

I'm looking through old build threads atm, but if you guys can post some specific tech pics that would be killer! Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought about it but too many draw backs... if I did I could easily swap in the toyota 8" that I had planned

This is my DD and I want to improve it as safely as possible, I'll check the vendors section, I really want to figure out the best way to reinforce it from the top, underneath looks relatively simple

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
This is what mine got. 3/16" plate welded onto the top of the hanger, and to the unirails.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
holy hell batman! hahaah my XJ isn't THAT rotten however it does give me an accurate guesstimate where to burn the plates to in that in that first pic you posted xj_man.

I'm getting in over my head, nothing good can come of this simple fix (thinking about roll cage tie in mounts :grinpimp:)

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
You think thats bad? Check out the rest of it...haha.

right after I took the carpet out...

This is basically what it ended up turning into throughout the entire Jeep. 98% of the floor has been replaced. What a PITA that was

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thats pretty much what mine was also. My rear section was better, but i cut it off anyhow.I also feel im in over my head, but ill get it all done up and see how long it lasts. Im going to use a full interior cage that ties into the spring hangers front and rear to help spread the load.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
looks like a hell of alot of work but it turned out great.how long did that take ya
A long time. I think my friend Steve spent a solid 2 weeks on just the sheet metal while I did other stuff on the Jeep. Still not done...some finish welding, small patch work, and final herculining is needed still. Getting close though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts