Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a Dana 44 on my Yota and will be installing a set of 39.5" Swampers. I would like to install the RIGHT locker the FIRST time around.. I have heard conflicting stories about the Detroit Truetrac and the Powertrax no slip system. I am hoping to get something that does not make a lot of racket when engaging, but yet gives me TRUE nonslip locking, when engaged..
Am I asking too much, or can this be accomplished???

·
Registered
802 Posts
I had a lock rite in the front of my 60. Blew one up, and got the other one from lock rite for free. Ended up taking it out, and buying a Detroit. Havent really head much about the true trac, I would put a full case Detroit in the front of it.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
The trutrac is a limited slip. It never fully locks the front tires together.

To powertrax no-slip is a waste of money. Buy a lockright cuz they're cheap, or buy a detroit cuz they're strong. Don't split the road and get an exensive, weak unit.

The primary downside to automatic lockers (which you seem to want to avoid using) is on the road. On the trail they're nice and quiet becuase of the slow speed and the fact that they're constantly engaged.

Get and ARB or a Detroit. You'll be taking anything else out in under two years to put a better unit in there. Trust me.

...BTW: Want a lockright for a toy 8"? I need an ARB. :p

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
spend the money the first time around and do OX or ARB locker both very good..

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
The No-Slip is stronger then a lock-rite, although with D44, the carrier is still weak. It is also quiet, but really for the price you can get a Detroit. However, in a front application, the ARB/OX is the best choice as it combines the best of all worlds, and will hopefullay allow the axle shafts and u-joints to stand up a little longer since you don't use it when you have decent traction. The auto lockers will probably grenade parts quickly.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I didn't notice that you were going to run fordeez. In that case, forget anything other than Detroit, ARB, and OX. cheezylockers = :nuke:

Oh, and you should also locate a Dana 60 to replace your soon-to-be-broken 44. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Lockright/Cheezy locker. This way, it won't have as much money down the drain when you swap out the 44 after you realize how often it goes :nuke:

:flipoff2:

Pete

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Sell the 44 and with that $ and the $ you were gonna spend on locking it put it towards a 60 ;) Who cares if your 60 is open for a couple months until you can afford to lock it atleast you can wheel it unlike the soon to be busted 44 :p

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Who knows: Maybe Camo *REALLY* needs a D44 ARB, and would trade yours for that "Camo 60" piece of junk? :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am told that I can put a Warn upgrade kit in the D44 and this will hold up to the Detroit locker. I also decided to go with 38 radials not 39.5's. Shouldn't this help??

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
you guys would be surprised how much a Tru trac can lock up the front. true, it cannot truely lock up the axle's, but it comes damn close. I have one in one of my trail trucks, and I can do everything my arb buddys can, and even more at times. They are good for reducing breakage, turning, etc. But Yea if you can afford it, why not go selectable. Or just throw in a detroit. I have Full time 4 wheel, so a Detroit up front is out of the picture, unless I did not want to turn.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
The 38" radials are about 8lbs lighter than the 39.5 I believe.. so while it will help some it's still pushing the D44 if you even attempt to wheel it hard..

CTMs / Alloys and your good to go!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I'm going to have to call them first thing tomorrow and cancel my Detroit locker...... Anyone want to trade a 60 for a 44.ha..ha..

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
If you don't want to build a d60 or pay to have someone make you one don't forget about my previous post...

Stick some CTM U-Joints and Warn Alloy Shafts in that D44 and you can run those 38s :)

But if you plan to go bigger might as well go 60 now instead of dumping the $$ into that D44

1 - 20 of 36 Posts