Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a front mounted receiver that will accomodate a multi-mount Warn winch, but all of the manufacturers I've checked (Warn, Curt, Draw-Tite, and Hidden Hitch) don't make one for the 1999 model for some reason. A rep from Warn said the 1998 receiver definitely would not fit on the '99. Toyota must have changed something with the frame in '99 that made these companies not want to design one, but I can't imagine what it was. I have the standard toe hooks bolted to the frame where most receivers would be mounted. I like the flexibility of mounting the winch on either the front or back (or not at all) and do not want to go with a replacement bumper.

Has anyone dealt with this situation or know of a good solution? I'm considering having a custom receiver made but would like to know if there are significant safety issues, etc. before I spend the bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got back from a welder who said there shouldn't be a problem fabricating one where the tow hooks are and quoted me $275. Much more than I hoped to spend, but much cheaper than replacing the bumper. I'm still interested to see if any other '99 owners have dealt with this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts, guys. I was hoping someone with a '99 had dealt with this since this year model seems to be a special case. I'm sure plenty of people have made custom front-mount solutions, but I haven't seen any with a stock '99 4Runner. I would have rather bought something off the shelf, but at least the welding shop saw no problems fabricating one regarding air bags, obstructions, etc. They can also make one that looks fairly stealthy so that I don't have to do any cutting into my existing bumper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts