Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I'm in the midst of my 61" D44 SAS on my 91 toyota. Well, because of personal reasons, I'd like to run a certain shackle. However, it is like 5" eye to eye. Is it unsafe to run such a long front shackle? I have wagoneer 7 leaf springs. Also, can anyone tell me how long the stock rear shackles are for these vehicles?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
a stock shackle is 3.5" i run a 5.5" front shackle. i think the only issue you may find is by running a longer shackle and not accompaning it with a drop hanger you begin to move your caster(steering geometry) farther from stock(stable)...i doubt an 1.5" longer shackle will cause such probs, but maybe someone running the wagoneer springs can help more....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
a stock shackle is 3.5" i run a 5.5" front shackle. i think the only issue you may find is by running a longer shackle and not accompaning it with a drop hanger you begin to move your caster(steering geometry) farther from stock(stable)...i doubt an 1.5" longer shackle will cause such probs, but maybe someone running the wagoneer springs can help more....
Booger Weldz, I am taking your advice from another post you had talking about using the 2 bottom leafs from your All Pro springs (which I have the 5" AP ones) and using the stock rear spring top 2 leafs. Figure I will try your set up. OH, which brings me to ask 3 questions.

1.) Is your 5.5" front shackle, home made or store bought? If bought who sells them and for how much?

2.) And are you using the factory location for your front shackles or welding a drop box on your frame and welding the hanger to that or no drop and just welding a hanger to the frame? Any Pics?

3.) Are you using 2x4 square box tubbing drop for your front spring hangers? Any Pics?

Thanks for the info. Trying to get my front end done before the Jambo.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
I am getting ready to do the same myself. I am not going to take the 2 leaves out quite yet because I know my Runner will not be as light as Boogers. I am not sure if he is running a winch yet or not.

Here is the best pic for a drop front mount that I have seen so far and I plan on following this design.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,885 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Roc Dog said:

Booger Weldz, I am taking your advice from another post you had talking about using the 2 bottom leafs from your All Pro springs (which I have the 5" AP ones) and using the stock rear spring top 2 leafs. Figure I will try your set up. OH, which brings me to ask 3 questions.
actually i used the 3 leafs outta the toy rears(all but the overload) and the bottom 3 from the all pro pack for 6 total....

i bent those jumping it up a wall/ledge in tanktrap and replaced it with 3 toy rears and 3 downeys....it wasnt a spring issue, 408 jiggs in front of me made his rear springs look like a boomerang on the same "landing"...

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
I read a post the other day where someone stated that by using a drop front hanger you screw your caster and get death wobble. I assume that if you do longer shackles at the same time it eliminates some/all of that problem or is this not correct?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The Joker said:
I read a post the other day where someone stated that by using a drop front hanger you screw your caster and get death wobble. I assume that if you do longer shackles at the same time it eliminates some/all of that problem or is this not correct?
It is hard to say if putting a drop box up front will through your caster off far enough to give it the death wobble. But if you do the drop box and compensate with longer shackles it will keep your caster in the proper position. There are many ways to fix caster angle. You can grind out the welds and rotate the knuckles or you can use steal caster plates under your springs to correct your caster also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts