Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was out wheeling the other day, and I caught some air with the front end doing a steep hillclimb, and my front shaft pulled apart. I have known about this potential problem since I built up my rig, but now that it has happened, it is time to fix it. Problem is the rear 4Runner springs I used rotate the pinion down a lot on suspension droop. I am using the factory slip-spline, and at full stuff, the shaft can compress maybe 1/8". The way I see it I have 3 options:

-order a long trave spline kit from All Pro

-put on a center limit strap

-re-work the front suspension with a 3 or 4 link to keep the pinion alined, and go to Fox air shox or a 1/4 eliptic leaf or coil-overs.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Two words:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SQUARE SHAFT!!!!!!!!!!
Unless you drive over 50 or so MPH with the hubs locked, it is the cheapest and easiest way to go. Just take your time and get all of the components lined up correctly.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I DIDN'T get my square tube front shaft aligned correctly. But it is still good to about 32MPH. Plenty for me. I am totally happy with this lo-buck solution.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Spend a bit of time on it, and maybe get someone that has done one before to help you. Mine is good to just over 50 MPH before I get vibes. It helps if you shim the inner piece to get a tighter slip joint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
never really considered the square tube option. I assume 1/4" wall? how are you guys attaching the yokes to the ends of the tube, just mate it up and weld away or what? I have access to a lathe and dial indicator so getting it straight shouldn't be a problem. How 'bout lubing the slip? Just tap in a few zerks or what?? I've heard about square shafts but have never seen any good photos of one to build off of, thus all the q's :shaking:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
4xRunner said:
I've heard about square shafts but have never seen any good photos of one to build off of, thus all the q's :shaking:
:D
Just a quick tip, seeing how you're a bit new to the forum, play around with the search button and you will be amazed at what you can find :D

SEARCH...Square Driveshaft

BTW, Welcome to the board :D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I just dont lube mine. There is so much slop in it, I dont see the point.
I havent driven my truck fast enough to get it to vibrate bad. Even in 2wd witht he hubs locked (60 mph or so). Only thing is that the clanking is annoying when your in 2wd with the hubs locked, but at a $220 savings, I can deal with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hammer Hog said:
:D
Just a quick tip, seeing how you're a bit new to the forum, play around with the search button and you will be amazed at what you can find :D

Good point. I'm always too eager to reply and chat instead of just reading for hours and hours :smokin:

BTW, thanks for the warm fuzzies!! I've posted in the chevy forum to get some info on axles, and this is the first welcome I've gotten, in the Toyota board. I've always found the Toy crowd to be more reliable and willing to help; must rub off from the rigs!! :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Coilovers and 4 link :rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the shiatt I'm taklin aboot :flipoff2:

Seriously though, I would really like this option, but not sure it is the most economical :D

Still researching the square shaft thing........

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
If you can afford it get one from Jess at High Angle Drive line, or a do it yourself kit from Marlin or Rockstomper, or a square shaft. Dont limit your travel, that was the whole point of rears up front, right? :goofball:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the rears up front give great articulation, and that has never caused an issue with the front shaft, but getting air lets the whole axle droop, which is what requires maximum shaft slip, but using a center limit strap to just limit free droop is what I had in mind, as that would still allow full flexing.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
4xRunner said:
the rears up front give great articulation, and that has never caused an issue with the front shaft, but getting air lets the whole axle droop, which is what requires maximum shaft slip, but using a center limit strap to just limit free droop is what I had in mind, as that would still allow full flexing.
I have seen three different rigs seperate short travel shafts thru articulation, especially pasenger side droop.

If your getting air on a regular basses with a Toy axle then your gonna have bigger issues than a seperated shaft! :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't get air on a regular basis, just hopped the front end going up a hill a little higher than I have before. I am starting to decide on the square shaft idea, but still have more reading to do.

Hey Spanish trail; thanks for the link but I found that last night. As for the "must read', I did read that a few months back, but if you had read this whole thread, I wasn't considering a square shaft to start with. I guess with your extensive experience and 43 posts, you missed that. My whole point to discussing these things is to hear different opinions for my specific situation, even if I have already learned lots from searching.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If I needed any more than 1 1/2" of travel on my slip yoke,I'd call Jess at Highangle driveline. I wouldn't run a square shaft if it was free. Well,I take that back,I would run it temporaraly if I was stranded in the middle of nowhere inorder to get home. Squares do make good trail spares cuz they have the ability to open and close to so many different lengths. A guy could carry 1 square shaft in his toolbox and have a spare for the front or rear.

I only need 1" or 1 1/2" at the very most of travel in my slip so the factory splines are PLEANTY enough for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, SlamChops :)...... still reading.......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts