Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out shooting a couple newer guns Friday evening in the fading light and by some firelight later. Noticed that my eyes just can't pick up the black on black sights like they used to. Said firearms are a GP100 and a Kimber Custom II. I was thinking I could get by with just doing the front sight on each one and looking at a fiber optic for the Ruger and a tritium for the Kimber( the Kimber has been my nightstand gun as of late).

Any thoughts or recommendations on what to use? One brand that looked good was dawson precision but I wasn't sure how good their tritium sights were compared to something like a tru-glo

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I looked into ways to redo the night sights on my Yugo SKS, and found this page.

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

Never got around to it, but it may be worth a shot, and a hell of a lot easier to dab a lil paint on your front sight than to press it out of it's dovetail and replace it, cheaper too considering you are talking about several sets of sights.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I was out shooting a couple newer guns Friday evening in the fading light and by some firelight later. Noticed that my eyes just can't pick up the black on black sights like they used to. Said firearms are a GP100 and a Kimber Custom II. I was thinking I could get by with just doing the front sight on each one and looking at a fiber optic for the Ruger and a tritium for the Kimber( the Kimber has been my nightstand gun as of late).

Any thoughts or recommendations on what to use? One brand that looked good was dawson precision but I wasn't sure how good there tritium sights were compared to something like a tru-glo
I'd skip the tritium front sight on the 45. You'll give away your position to your enemies behind you. :blackflipoff2:

I looked into ways to redo the night sights on my Yugo SKS, and found this page.

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

Never got around to it, but it may be worth a shot, and a hell of a lot easier to dab a lil paint on your front sight than to press it out of it's dovetail and replace it, cheaper too considering you are talking about several sets of sights.
Can you buy replacement night sights/tritium tubes for these? The night sights on them, M64s, and Galils are always dead.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I'd skip the tritium front sight on the 45. You'll give away your position to your enemies behind you. :blackflipoff2:

Can you buy replacement night sights/tritium tubes for these? The night sights on them, M64s, and Galils are always dead.
At one point I found a sight that offered tritium tubes, but don't have a link. On the Yugo SKS the night sights had a tritium paint in divots on the sights which is why I bookmarked the glow in the dark paint link I posted. The top one on the page is supposed to glow for up to 24 hours, so it looked like a decent replacement to me for fairly cheap. $10 for 1/2 fl/oz, you can do a lot of sights with 1/2 oz since you would most likely just apply a drop with a toothpick.

Like I said, I never got around to it, so if you try it post results.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
At one point I found a sight that offered tritium tubes, but don't have a link. On the Yugo SKS the night sights had a tritium paint in divots on the sights which is why I bookmarked the glow in the dark paint link I posted. The top one on the page is supposed to glow for up to 24 hours, so it looked like a decent replacement to me for fairly cheap. $10 for 1/2 fl/oz, you can do a lot of sights with 1/2 oz since you would most likely just apply a drop with a toothpick.

Like I said, I never got around to it, so if you try it post results.
I may have to do look into the paint.

My Saiga is my "that bear over there in the woods is planning on eating us" gun- I'd like to open up the rear sight, then hit the back of the rear sight and the back of the front sight with some of the paint.

I've never bothered with trying to replace the sights on any of the other mentioned rifles... most people could really care less about night sights on a rifle (it seems like, at least).

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
well, if i could rebuild my saiga, i would NOT have those HK G3 sights on there. my next saiga is gonna be a red dot.
Saiga 308 with standard AK sights.

I'm half tempted to throw a mini-red dot on one of those mounts that replaces the rear sight.

But I'll probably just cut a HUGE Mauser-style V notch into the rear sight. The rear sight feels more accurate than the rifle at this point, it's super-fine.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I was watching one of Nutnfancy's vids on the GP100 and he mentioned the sights. He used some florescent orange hobby paint and painted the front sight and said that it helps out a lot with finding the front sight in low light. Might want to try that before spending money on something more expensive.

Edit fo da pic:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good idea...I'm thinking some flourescent red might due the trick and save me 40 bucks.

Still probably going to do the Kimber front to a tritium so the bad guys know where I am at. I may look at a mepro though since I have had good luck in the past. Don't know anything about Dawson Precision really except their fiber sights are nice

·
Registered
306 Posts
well, if i could rebuild my saiga, i would NOT have those HK G3 sights on there. my next saiga is gonna be a red dot.
Have you taken a look at the XS G3 drop in replacement sights? You get a big or small tritium front and a ghost ring rear.

For me they were a HUGE improvement.

·
Moderhater
23,464 Posts
no, ill have to look into those. regardless, mine are welded on. the rear i could replace with a dust cover, the front is welded on the gas tube- it aint comin off without hacking the hell out of the gun.....

i mean it *COULD* come off, but it would take a lot of grinding and patients.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
If you have an M&P, check out the VTAC sights... They are expensive but awesome. I bought a gun with them installed and was able to get a great deal on the sights by flipping the gun after swapping the sights lol.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found some "viper red" enamel. Came out pretty good, enough to make me hold off on ordering a Dawson fiber sight for it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts