Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a spare but wondered if anyone had ever seen a broken Toy front spindle?

Seen spun ones, but not broken.

Anyone?

Jay

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i destroyed the brass bushing with some birf carnage tidbits which would render carrying a spare is suppose.

·
Registered
617 Posts
only on a drum brake cruiser

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
i destroyed the brass bushing with some birf carnage tidbits which would render carrying a spare is suppose.
yeah done this and cause it was all locked up and stuff in there it was trying to throw the bearings off which ended up after winching and trying to drive to a safe spot to wheel, ended up causeing major damage to the spindle rendering it useless

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I'm hearing about chewed up ones from other
carnage.....any breakage though?

Jay

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
You really carry a spare spindle Jay? :confused:

I haven't ever heard of one breaking, but I have 4 of them on the shelf that may go up for sale if a rash of broken spindles pops up ;)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Jack broke one when he blew the stub shaft off his Longfield. Broke it good too. I wouldn't worry about carrying a spare though.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
try as i might .........................i have never broken one. :(

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ha....witnessed a spun one (bearing) once.

Ever since have carried a spindle and pair of wheel bearings.
Can move a vehicle with a broken axle but if you break a
spindle or toast a bearing, it's dragging time......no fun :(

Admit though....never needed it, yet.

Jay

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
I carry a spare, but the only reason is in case I break one of the Redline axles i can replace it with the Birfield and axles. The spindle for the Redline kit was machined down on the inside.

[/QUOTE]
try as i might .........................i have never broken one.
This is hard to believe:eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I carry one as part of my spare tire carrier. Used it once in S Dakota when someone from Canada burned up a bearing and the race wouldn't come off. that spindle is still sitting at the top of the basement steps waiting to go to the work shop to try and remove it. It's only been 3 years!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I split mine open when I blew a stub shaft all to hell......Slice about 2" long from the end in, also deformed the end of it all the way around the threads. Blew the hub apart, took out the spindle, froze up the outer wheel bearing, gouged up the inside of the housing ball, and pieces of shaft took out the kingpin bearings and inner axle seal.... :rolleyes:

Here's pics of my favorite paperweight

this was on a 74 drum brake axle. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts