Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting somthing similar to the rear shackle hanger for the front shackle hanger rather than using the through the frame mount. Has anyone done this, and what problems could, would, will I run into with doing this.

BTW right now I have the stock shackle and I would be making my own shackle to go in the new mount. I want to do this so I don't have to deal with spacers or anything hitting the frame. Thanks anyone.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yep, its been done. I think someone sells brackets you can weld to the frame...You would probably have to lower your front mounts or cut and turn your knuckles though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OOP'S said:
Most of the people that I know that did it have gone to the through frame since!!!:D
Why?

Opposite boy, thats pretty much what I was talking about, but I would probabaly get a u shaped piece or a square tube with same ID of frame and weld that on first. then just get a stock rear hanger and my own shackle below that. btw this would be ran with a drop front hanger.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
klif02 said:
Caster-Get rid of shims

More ground clearence

Different shackle length-more flex!

Here is why Erik B did it!!!
I've moved the shackle hangers to through-the-frame (duplicated the stock shackle hangers) and changed to some Allpro 4" springs. I'm much happier with this setup and I'd recommend always mounting the shackles this way.
The rear of my springs moved up about 4" which enabled me to remove the shims I was using to correct the caster on the axle, not to mention giving me lots more ground clearance, and I also think it looks better.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My problem is I still have a short stock shackle. I want to move the mount to get a better shackle angle, 45* preferably to give equal movement up and down. I also would be doing a drop hanger of the same length up front to keep my pinion about the same as it is now. Are there any other problems I could run into down the road?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts