Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, got to replace the front bearings and wondered about following specs on the torque for the two big nuts with larger than stock tires..

FSM says preload at 46# then back off to 18 which seemed a little loose for 35x13" tires and the outer nut at 33#.

I did one side to specs and test drove and things loosened up in a few miles on the hwy...front wobble...got home and both nuts barely had any torque.

so...what is the recommendation for torque on these suckers so I don't have to worry about tightening them up ever 100 miles? :p

'00 Tacoma, Diamond SA up front with Yota outers.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What the FSM says is what I have always used. You did put the star washer in between the two nuts an bent the tabs after you torqued it right?
yea, followed the book and put everything back as it was.

On one side I had to replace the spindle....let the vibes go way too long :shaking: ...thought it was a tire balance issue...oops.

I guess I'll just drive it for a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when you install new bearings you need to touqre and spin and loosen and spin and toruqe and spin to seat everything , just play with them a bit.

the inner nuts arent to hold the thing together they are for the pre load on the bearing. the outter nut is what keeps it all in check.
makes sense...I did that but probably not nearly enough, thanks

I'll drive it a few days and then recheck/tighten.

·
Registered
652 Posts
i usually tighten the inner nut pretty hard to seat eveyrhting. then back it off an do it hand tight. then the washer and outer nut to specs. worked good for me.

havent done it on a toyota, but this is the procedure i have used on everything else i have ever owned or worked on (when i worked in a shop) and i have never lost a bearing yet....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've also discovered I have a serious tire balance issue...that the Dynabeads won't compensate for :(

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
so, got to replace the front bearings and wondered about following specs on the torque for the two big nuts with larger than stock tires..

FSM says preload at 46# then back off to 18 which seemed a little loose for 35x13" tires and the outer nut at 33#.

I did one side to specs and test drove and things loosened up in a few miles on the hwy...front wobble...got home and both nuts barely had any torque.

so...what is the recommendation for torque on these suckers so I don't have to worry about tightening them up ever 100 miles? :p

'00 Tacoma, Diamond SA up front with Yota outers.
As mentioned above you either missed something on your r/, have other issues in the knuckle or just tire balance as you mention. I always check tires first with vibrations up front as that is the easiest to eliminate and fix.

Good luck and update when you fix it.

:smokin:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Which side was this happening on? Or was it both? I destroyed 2 sets of wheel bearings on my 87 truck (1 destroyed the wheelhub and spindle as well) but they only ever happened on the driver side. I wonder if the wheel rotation counter clockwise (same as lefty-loosey) could have something to do with it? Hasn't happened in a couple years though so I did something right I think.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
when you install new bearings you need to touqre and spin and loosen and spin and toruqe and spin to seat everything , just play with them a bit.

the inner nuts arent to hold the thing to gether they are for the pre load on the bearing. the outter nut is what keeps it all in check.

this is in the FAQs nobody seems to want to read?
it's full of shit:flipoff2: $5 donation and you get to dl the pdf:smokin:

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
if the star locks arent working right it will spin the nuts loose on the driver side quickly.

for what its worth i like to use a bit more preload on the bearings, surely not hand tight.
it has a bit to do with feel and experience.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which side was this happening on? Or was it both? I destroyed 2 sets of wheel bearings on my 87 truck (1 destroyed the wheelhub and spindle as well) but they only ever happened on the driver side. I wonder if the wheel rotation counter clockwise (same as lefty-loosey) could have something to do with it? Hasn't happened in a couple years though so I did something right I think.
the pass side was the one that got the new spindle as well as bearings; Dr side just got new bearings. everything is solid, no play at all trying to shake at 6/12. I was looking through the FAQ on the Dynabead site and they mentioned lateral balance not being fixed by the beads and causing the exact type of shimmy that I have...both front and rear ;) ...so...I'm going to try pulling out the beads and having the tires balanced again to see what happens.

wouldn't there be some sort of odd play in the thing if the knuckle had taken a dump?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts