Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 allen head (counter sunk) bolts that I can't get out of my winch.

They mount the Warn winch to the plate and thread into the square captured nuts in the winch.

So far I have tried:

- PB Blaster
- impact (broke allen socket)
- Heated it with propane torch
- Welded a piece of angle to it (broke welds)

Not sure what to try next???
- drill out?
- weld on another breaker?
- more heat?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think the nut will come out of the winch if you just cut the bolt off then get a new nut. I think the nut is in a notch and will slde out take a look at it and see

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I think the nut will come out of the winch if you just cut the bolt off then get a new nut. I think the nut is in a notch and will slde out take a look at it and see

Nope. There is a space where the square nuts slide into the winch body, but the bolt holes are fully surrounded.

Since they are socket head bolts, get your drill out and git to work. Use a bit that will fit into the allen socket and start drilling. The further you drill and the straiter the better. Using a bit that will fit in the socket will leave some metal so you can drill deeper, knock the head off with a cold chisel and hammer. Then you can work the rest out.

Other option if you can weld worth a shit is to put a nut over the socket head and weld them together so you can use a regular socket to remove the bolt. The heat of welding should break the corrosion bond making it pretty easy to remove providing you dont just shear off the head of the bolt.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking about welding a nut to the face/head of the bolt.

If I shear it off I can regroup and drill it out at that point.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Try some kroil oil first that stuff is amazing, if that doesn't work try the welding. Last thing to do is drill the center out of the bolt it will let the tension off the threads, alot of times if you will go up on drill sizes a little at a time the bolt will thread itself out on the bit!

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
It may be that the counter suck bolt is just rusted in to the countersink. Once you drill the head off and pull the winch you might be able to just unscrew it from there.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I agree on welding a nut to it. I'd make sure and get one large enough you can get weld all the way around the top of the socket head. It might be easier to weld the hole up first and then weld the nut on after that. If do it right you should have a weld plug from the bottom of the socket head over the top of the new nut. It should come out or snap the head off one.

Make sure you let it cool completely before you torque on it so it shrinks back to cold size. Getting it that hot will also help expand everything and when it relaxes it should break the corrosion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its countersunk so you can't get to it? I've use a cut off wheel and make a notch, or an impact hammer..hard to explain..use a sharp chisel on the notch you cut, if you got a good bite, one whack with a hammer will crack it loose.. just got to hit it on the outside and spin it out..
( ' ) the notch in the bolt head would look kinda like that..

Also, further on the welding a nut deal..clean everything as good as you can, crank the heat on the welder. Ready the nut, then pre-heat the bolt until its melting basically, put the nut into position and the first strike is critical to be accurate and penetrate into the bolt, then worry about the nut..let it cool down..and quite literally snap at it, don't gently push..

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the notes.

I am going to weld a nut to it.

Will take some pics and share the results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts