Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank you Russell! We had a great time this weekend. I have wheeled all over and Disney is now my favorite wheeling spot. Seriously thinking of getting a cheap travel trailer and leaving it ,my Ftoy, my kayaks, and my fishing boat up there!!! It's that cool!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Those places looked fun! I miss it badly! If you get out closer this way, let me know, I'd love to run with ya...
Will do!

I'm looking on CL for one of those FEMA trailers to set up at Disney OK. If I leave some of my toys there the wife and I can ride my motorcycle over and back for almost nothing. We did something similar when my daughter was young on the TN river. Got a cheap trailer then built a big metal roof pole barn over it. Had full length covered deck on one side of trailer and covered parking on the other side.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Busted front R&p during attempt to drive back from above flop. Tore down and found front housing bent pretty good. I didnt jump it. I think it bent when it flopped on that side. I was taking stock of all my previous Toy rigs with Toy axles and I realized I had broken every Toyota 3rd I've ever owned except those in our little Sami and that's prob because it was a Sami, had 36s, and I only wheeled it twice. I'm tired of breaking these little axles. I'm changing to 60s. And 39 Reds! With eventual rear steer ?!!! Keaton says this will make me the king of the homos. Flame on!

·
Registered
245 Posts
That front diff was fresh out of a good rear housing, it had one trip on it before you bought it. And the Lockright was brand new, due to the old one busting when I broke the previous R&P. I always suspected the housing was slightly bent due to having a hard time getting the Longfield in the long side, but i couldn't see it bent just by looking at it. The good thing, however, is just find another stock chunk and swap the locker and you're good to go again...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That front diff was fresh out of a good rear housing, it had one trip on it before you bought it. And the Lockright was brand new, due to the old one busting when I broke the previous R&P. I always suspected the housing was slightly bent due to having a hard time getting the Longfield in the long side, but i couldn't see it bent just by looking at it. The good thing, however, is just find another stock chunk and swap the locker and you're good to go again...
I have 2 ARB 6cyl 3rds with 5.29s going in for a couple wheelin trips and while I build the 60s. The front housing is now bent bad enough that I nearly had to cut the knuckle ball off to get the shaft out. Maybe it was already bent a little which left it easier for me to bend further.

Another reason for this axle swap is I already have %80 of the needed parts and because I have a big 22re turbo engine and a Marlin built ax15 that will accept an Atlas that will go in here at some point and the Toy axles will definitely not be ready for prime time with that kind of power.

·
Vendor
4,112 Posts
60's with a 22r = unlimited fun:D I'd sure like to make it out that way someday. Maybe next summer. Is it too hot to wheel there in the summer?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
60's with a 22r = unlimited fun:D I'd sure like to make it out that way someday. Maybe next summer. Is it too hot to wheel there in the summer?
I'll have all the parts for 9" axles with 60 outers soon. Can't wait. I've always limited how far I push my rig by my axle assembly strength. Now when I break something it's going to be really bad!!

We can wheel here year round. Meet us over in Disney OK. That would be a little closer. Looks like 16 hours for you +/-. There's a wide variety of terrain mixed with some cool locals. You'd fit right in !!!

·
Vendor
4,112 Posts
It's on my wish list. For some reason I thought that place was in the dakotas. My wife is just about to have our next son so I think this summer is out. Ok is doable for sure though!:beer:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Now have a TG front housing (had this one stashed away for a few years), front V6 ARB with 5.29, mini CO2 bottle( for now, will rig up compressor later), rear V6 ARB with 5.29, a full set of remote res Bilstein 7100s, full leaf packs front and rear, hacked out everything in the back of the rig for a new rear bed area, rear shock mounts upper and lower, and battery and propane bottle relocation.

Also doing some prep work for rear cage re-work and rear bench seat later this year.

I found this very cool perforated steel sheetmetal for the rear bed and floor pans. It has 1/4" holes on 1/2" centers, .125 thick and it's steel so I can weld it in. It won't hold muddy water or sand and I can easily bolt stuff to it with 1/4" bolts. The place I bought from has tons of different configurations with different home sizes and offsets. I'll post pics of all of this in the next couple days.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Now have a TG front housing (had this one stashed away for a few years), front V6 ARB with 5.29, mini CO2 bottle( for now, will rig up compressor later), rear V6 ARB with 5.29, a full set of remote res Bilstein 7100s, full leaf packs front and rear, hacked out everything in the back of the rig for a new rear bed area, rear shock mounts upper and lower, and battery and propane bottle relocation.

Also doing some prep work for rear cage re-work and rear bench seat later this year.

I found this very cool perforated steel sheetmetal for the rear bed and floor pans. It has 1/4" holes on 1/2" centers, .125 thick and it's steel so I can weld it in. It won't hold muddy water or sand and I can easily bolt stuff to it with 1/4" bolts. The place I bought from has tons of different configurations with different home sizes and offsets. I'll post pics of all of this in the next couple days.

Definitely interested in the perforated steel:grinpimp:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Definitely interested in the perforated steel:grinpimp:
Here's a link to the company I bought the perforated sheet metal from. Check out their site but be warned this shit is $$$!!!!

It came in a 4'x10 sheet so if I'm very conservative with it I figure I can use on 3-4 rigs to ease the $$ pain a bit.

http://www.brown-campbell.com

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Here's a link to the company I bought the perforated sheet metal from. Check out their site but be warned this shit is $$$!!!!

It came in a 4'x10 sheet so if I'm very conservative with it I figure I can use on 3-4 rigs to ease the $$ pain a bit.

Specialty Steel Fabricator & Distributor
I've seen tons of that perforated metal on different kinds of industrial equipment (mostly stainless on food processing equip), never priced it out though.

A lil google searching found a couple other places in TN that sell perforated sheet. Here's one in east TN (Cleveland)

H&K Perforating Company - Specializing in Perforated Metal

I may have to cheap out and go with the ol "trailer bed" expanded metal though :homer:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Moved bottles in some, remounted rear shocks and replaced with 7100 Bilsteins. Built subframe for new rear deck. Cutting the perforated sheet this morning and installing it later this week.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

I like these air toggles for the ARBs and they work great mounted "Hobie style" on the shifter. Running a small CO2 tank for the lockers for now but switching to a compressor in the future.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts