Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Not a Wenzelite
37,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My kids are growing. My standard 153" chassis is only going to work for them for another year or so. They're going to start running out of headroom and legroom.

For headroom, I'm going to have to drop the bottom of the back seat between the framerails. For legroom, I have to decide if I want to stick with the existing cage and tube out behind it, and back seat access kind of sucks with this option...

or chop from the b-pillars back and add new tubing. This would make it no longer "WERock comp-legal", but back seat access is far better.

I don't plan to compete in a WERock comp, but I do want to keep my rig close to legal if I ever wanted to sell it one day. I also know that Mike and Camo spent a lot of time engineering the existing design, and I want to pause to think about it before I fuck up a good thing.

Options/thoughts?

Pics of both comp-legal (uncut) and cut/retubed cages.

Loose Kannon's retubed:

Trader's retubed:

#40:

Maveric's #92:

My backseat:

8-9yo kids just fit:

Extending the tubework and roof is a MUST. Just looking for ideas HOW. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
How about adding a bar over the kids heads with a couple of supports using some of these? strong enough?

Attachments

·
Not a Wenzelite
37,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like you need to build another one you have yours now your wife needs hers :D:D
:lmao:

Monkeys might fly out of my ass first.

Rig has been completed for 3 years. Wifey has never ridden in it.
She was in the 4Runner maybe 3 times in the 4 years I was wheelin' it. It's not her thing. :laughing:

A kid buggy is a lot more likely. I'm thinking a UTV-sized rig with a street bike engine and narrowed 7.5" Toy IFS diffs and a-arms front and rear. :evil:

Oh, wait, that would be fun for me, too!!

How about adding a bar over the kids heads with a couple of supports using some of these? strong enough?
If I go that quick/easy bar location like #92, I think I'll just weld that bar to the back down tubes.

"Prettiest FToy ever" had the same hoop:

If I put that in, something tells me I'd want to not leave those nodes unsupported.
Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Do a rear "halo" bar that's parallel to the rearmost roof support and attaches to the rearmost roof support. Two short tubes running down from the corners to the existing rear down bars then two more short pieces that run down to a rear seat back bar. Make sence? Then you can preserve the stock class legal bars. Looking down from top "halo" bar looks like this,

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
I say build your rig so it fits your needs. If the family cannot come then whats the point of the whole thing. Put a hoop across the back, cut out the bar and add some pre teen seat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I say build your rig so it fits your needs. If the family cannot come then whats the point of the whole thing. Put a hoop across the back, cut out the bar and add some pre teen seat.
her is a pic of my beard kids seats,had them custom width made so they are are the same width as the super but are 3'' shorter for leg room

Attachments

·
Not a Wenzelite
37,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You know, that's why I like Pirate. You get the good advice that you don't want to give (or admit) to yourself.

After looking at Brian Ellinger's FToy, with the rear shocks angled back, I think I can move my shock mount bar back at least 5" without moving the axle at all. I can move the seat back for 3-4" more legroom and also make it lean back a bit more.

Thanks Seriousscout.

I had thought about that, mtbrjon, but with all the tubes left in there, the back seat access sucks. I'm tall, and my daughters are getting taller, so it's going to get harder and harder for them to stuff themselves in through all those bars. I also don't like the idea of a tube right next to their heads--even wearing a helmet.

After Rod's comments, I'm thinking this route--with tube removal.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I found that there is no sence in putting any energy into making a back seat for my 10yr old. He has no interest in going unless he can AT LEAST sit in the front. Oh, and he wants to drive.

Attachments

·
Not a Wenzelite
37,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found that there is no sence in putting any energy into making a back seat for my 10yr old. He has no interest in going unless he can AT LEAST sit in the front. Oh, and he wants to drive.
:laughing:

Awesome!

I suspect my (now) 8yo daughter will be ready to drive before if not the same time as her 10yo sister. :laughing: My oldest is a sweet kid, but she's a dingbat. My youngest is very mechanically inclined and I'm 99% certain she'll be more responsible--and eager to be--behind the wheel.

·
Registered
910 Posts
When I built mine I made sure that the seat went forward enough for my 10yo son then I made sure it went back far enough for me. My back seat is actually a Rhino seat that PRP made wider for my needs. I would angle the shocks to the rear, add a top bar and push the seat back if you're kids will still be riding back there for a couple of years. My son (is 15 now) and does a lot of driving now and my daughter is in college now so she doesn't come out as much.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Adding tubing to the chassis would not make it illegal for comps. Think of it like this does adding tubing give me any advantage, obviously no.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Adding tubing to the chassis would not make it illegal for comps. Think of it like this does adding tubing give me any advantage, obviously no.
But I would assume removal of a tube, and installing a new one, even though it makes the chassis larger, would make the chassis not comp legal? If Im wrong, and redoing to downbars like the first pic is deemed OK, Im chopping tubes!

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,013 Posts
You want some pics of how I squeezed front & back seats in my chassis? The "head protection" tubes haven't gone in yet, but the seats are mounted and in place.

Both front seats are on sliders (passenger loses sliders with the Atlas 4speed), back seat has plenty of leg room for kids, and even I fit back there surprisingly well.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
But I would assume removal of a tube, and installing a new one, even though it makes the chassis larger, would make the chassis not comp legal? If Im wrong, and redoing to downbars like the first pic is deemed OK, Im chopping tubes!
I don't think it would be a problem to do like the first pic. The only thing that is going to stop you from competing is a safety concern. After that someone would have to protest your chassis as being an unfair advantage. Obviously buy making the chassis bigger there is no advantage.

·
Not a Wenzelite
37,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think it would be a problem to do like the first pic. The only thing that is going to stop you from competing is a safety concern. After that someone would have to protest your chassis as being an unfair advantage. Obviously buy making the chassis bigger there is no advantage.
A huge part of my decision to build an FToy is its resale-ability. I hope to not need to sell my rig for the forseeable future, but nobody knows what the future holds. If I can keep it "comp legal", then that helps me hold its future value. :) ...otherwise, it's "just another Toyota buggy" and only worth what I can part it out for.

There isn't a WE-Rock class for FToys this year, and the "FToys for sale and wanted" thread is still active. Mike and Camo did something right, :) and I want to keep my FToy an FToy!

You want some pics of how I squeezed front & back seats in my chassis? The "head protection" tubes haven't gone in yet, but the seats are mounted and in place.

Both front seats are on sliders (passenger loses sliders with the Atlas 4speed), back seat has plenty of leg room for kids, and even I fit back there surprisingly well.
By all means, I'd love to see it. I was hoping to make this somewhat of a "FToy backseat FAQ" thread--and not just for my own purposes.

Brian's and Mike's comments above are exactly what I hoped would get discussed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts