Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new fuel cell. (I know there are others here runing the same) It didn't come with foam, and I didn't want it. I read during my search about using some pvc pipe, but I'm not sure I fully understand.

What are you running to prevent starvation, or is it not a problem?

Also, this tank, only has a supply and a rollover vent. Did you cut another hole for a return??

·
Registered
407 Posts
Looks a lot like the Summit cell I just got. IIRC, The foam prevents sloshing and prevents air bubbles in the fuel. People also have run cut up oil containers, peices of PVC pipe, lots of things will work. It seems there are mixed feelings about the foam around here, so I'm going to try it and see how it does. I figgure I allready have it and can always remove it if it causes problems. I'm going to run a pre-filter before my pump, just in case.

I'm not going to worry too much about starvation. My cell has a sump, and I'm planning to keep it nice and full on the trail. The baffling helps keep the sump submerged as well. I may angle the cell slightly toward the sump just to be nice to the pump.

Only two holes? Sheesh, I got 4 and have to plug one. You could drill a hole and install a fitting I suppose. I'm going to connect supply (sump), return (top), and EVAP vent (top). I have an extra fitting on the sump for supply I'm just going to put a cap on. Does one of your top holes have a pickup going to the bottom? If not, I would think your cell was not built correctly and is missing the supply port on the bottom. I would call whoever you bought it from and ask them what the deal is. It may be a defective cell.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No sump, flat bottom. Yes the left most hole in top (bottom in pic) has a hose going to the bottom.

Does anybod know of a good gas safe epoxy or sealant to keep the baffle in place???

·
Registered
407 Posts
zukota said:
No sump, flat bottom. Yes the left most hole in top (bottom in pic) has a hose going to the bottom.

Does anybod know of a good gas safe epoxy or sealant to keep the baffle in place???

Hmmm.. odd that they didn't give you a return fitting. Though I suppose you might be able to put a "T" in the line to get that, it probably wouldn't work well though. I would probably drill a hole in the top for the return and install a bulkhead fitting with a hose barb or AN fitting.

The foam isn't secured in my cell, and the posts I remember reading about baffles seemed to indicate that they all floated about as well. Some people weld metal baffles inside the cell, but I think you will get the benefit without needing them glued down.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I let the baffle float (I'm leaning towards the bottom of a little plastic gas can) how do I keep the pickup inside??

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I would suggest using a flexible hose inside the tank with a weighted pickup.

Back in my RC plane days, we used neoprene (medical supply) tubing with a weighted pickup. This tubing is much more flexible than standard fuel line. Those planes see more odd angles and forces than a rockcrawler and they always got gas. I bet medical tubing will hold up to auto gas but you might want to test a peice in a dish of fuel for a couple days and see if it is affected.

The only problem I can think of is the tubing possible collapsing on itself due to the suction of the pump. I bet you can find something to work though.

If you want a baffle, run the tube through the center of the baffle and let it run around with a weighted pickup.

I use foam with a hard line run to the center bottom of the tank. My rear sump did not work worth a damn. I topped the tank off before every trail and still had trouble.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I like the weight idea. Now what to use for wieght.... more aluminum I guess.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cross Section of tank
Pump pickup is blue
baffle is red
This will hold fuel in the area you want when it gets low. It also will help on angles. You can experiment with different heights for better results. It also seems you bought a cell for a "returnless" system, similar to what they use on new high pressure pump/FI systems.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
What kind of fuel pump are you using?

I used the same tank but removed the supplied pickup and sending unit. I then took a factory YJ pickup/fuel pump system and intalled it in the tank. This way you get a semi baffled pickup, return line, fuel strainer, and factory sending unit. Just cut a square out of the top of the tank so the entire sending unit/pump will fit. Use the factory gasket and you will have to trim the length of the original pickup to fit. Easy, clean, in the pump setup that has worked flawless for me for a couple of years now.
Make sure you get the right fuel pump in the tank. If you are running a TBI most factory jeep in the tank pumps will work. The great thing about the YJ pickup it that it can be easily adapted to most in the tank pumps. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I was thinking of putting this same cell in my sami, right behind the seats. If I wanted to add foam (dont want to listen to the sloshing) how much do I put in. Also does this tank seal good, I dont want gas dripping on me if I roll

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MTUCJ7 said:
It also seems you bought a cell for a "returnless" system, similar to what they use on new high pressure pump/FI systems. [/B]
I'm using an inline pump. I got a way to do the return line w/out going to the tank. Just put it into a tee on the tank side just before the fuel pump.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Original Diesel said:
What kind of fuel pump are you using?

I used the same tank but removed the supplied pickup and sending unit. I then took a factory YJ pickup/fuel pump system and intalled it in the tank. This way you get a semi baffled pickup, return line, fuel strainer, and factory sending unit. Just cut a square out of the top of the tank so the entire sending unit/pump will fit. Use the factory gasket and you will have to trim the length of the original pickup to fit. Easy, clean, in the pump setup that has worked flawless for me for a couple of years now.
Make sure you get the right fuel pump in the tank. If you are running a TBI most factory jeep in the tank pumps will work. The great thing about the YJ pickup it that it can be easily adapted to most in the tank pumps. Hope it helps!
I didn't think they made a "factory" pickup that would go that low. This tank is 12" tall. OR Did you lengthen the lines on the pickup?

P.S. This is for a toyota motor in a Samurai. I think (If I can remember) I need something like 40PSI at the rail.

·
Registered
75 Posts
zukota said:
Just picked up a new fuel cell. (I know there are others here runing the same) It didn't come with foam, and I didn't want it. I read during my search about using some pvc pipe, but I'm not sure I fully understand.

What are you running to prevent starvation, or is it not a problem?

Also, this tank, only has a supply and a rollover vent. Did you cut another hole for a return??
I also just got the same fuel cell this week. I have spent the last 2 days going to various hydraulic supply places to find the right fittings to run the lines how I want. I am also concerned about the pickup line. If you look in the tank, the end of the pickup hose is about 3-4" from the end of the tank. So with the gas running low, it does not take much for it to run dry. I experimented with some water and with 6 gallons in the tank, I can't tilt the tank any more than 20 degrees or else it will run dry and that is with out it sloching around.

I am thinking of moving the pickup line fitting to the end of the tank. This will allow the hose-end to fall in the middle of the tank. I have to add the return line anyway, so the old hole will now be the return. I bought a bulkhead fitting for $5 for the return. I am not sure how well it would work if I just cut the hose so it hung about 1/2" above the bottom of the tank. What do you think? I kind of like the way it lays flat on the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
783 Posts
a buddy of mine had the foam in his fuel cell and it kept clogging the fuel filter. so we took the foam out and didn't have any more problems

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: Re: Fuel Cell Baffles (need Ideas)

BlueCJeep said:

I also just got the same fuel cell this week. I have spent the last 2 days going to various hydraulic supply places to find the right fittings to run the lines how I want. I am also concerned about the pickup line. If you look in the tank, the end of the pickup hose is about 3-4" from the end of the tank. So with the gas running low, it does not take much for it to run dry. I experimented with some water and with 6 gallons in the tank, I can't tilt the tank any more than 20 degrees or else it will run dry and that is with out it sloching around.

Do you know what type of hose that pickup is made out of?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the same cell I just drilled another hole in it for the return. How much does the return actuallly return? I am still looking for pick-up ideas. I know Holly makes some sort of pick up multypoint thing,but its kinda pricey.....

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
zukota said:

I'm using an inline pump. I got a way to do the return line w/out going to the tank. Just put it into a tee on the tank side just before the fuel pump.

You could run into vapor lock problems with that set up. As the fuel runs though the fuel rail it it heated by the engine. It would normally be allowed to return to the tank where it can dissapate that heat. With the set up you have pictured the fuel would be recirculating just through the lines and could cause the fuel to get too hot and start to vaporize. Gasoline has a pretty low vapor point. Even if it didn't cause a full vapor lock, it can cause drivability issues.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Fuel Cell Baffles (need Ideas)

ttabbal said:

Do you know what type of hose that pickup is made out of?
It is a 1/2" i.d. hose made by Dayco. It says "fuel" on it and also says it is "Electrically Non-Conductive" There is more #'s on it if you need them. It is blue.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Larry, this is a standard in marine pumps and will work fine on tbi or otherwise...Chandler Speed and Marine does it all the time and so do all( that I know) marine applications...wanna prevent fumes in tank....

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
I would suggest using a flexible hose inside the tank with a weighted pickup.
IIRC, we called those 'clunk tanks' and they were might handy when flying upside down, diving, climbing to stall, etc. Definitely be sure to use fuel-safe tubing...

Randii

1 - 20 of 29 Posts