Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting rid of the stock fuel tank and just putting a plastic 20 gal. fuel cell in the back of the Jeep...no rear seat by the way. I have seen this on competition vehicles but not really on everyday trail rigs. Does it seem like a bad idea to have a fuel tank near the driver and passenger? Would fumes be a problem you think?

Dan

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Look at all the older jeeps/cruisers with the tank under the seat. It should be ok.

On a side note, my 22 gal aluminum cell is mounted in the bed of the cruiser in this manor, and the only time I have smelled gas since is when I left the gas station with the cap off. OOPS

·
Registered
891 Posts
I moved mine from under the seat to the back in my willys. Thing about the ones under the seat they still filled from the outside and if I had it to do over again I might rig it to where it filled from the outside that way you will be sure not to spill any in the jeep and you will want to run the vent to the outside as well.

Its also my experience that if you fill the poly tanks up all the way then put the cap on the vapors can push gas up through the vent causing it to spill everywhere...and if your vent is inside the jeep it makes for a long day of wheeling:confused: ask me how I know

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I wouldnt even consider a plastic/poly fuel cell for a jeep. Over time(very quickly) they will fade and start collapsing. Not exactly that safe since in collapses near the fill hole. Aluminum is the only way to go!! Especially if you are in the sun a lot, they seem to rot faster.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Aluminum.
20 gal., mounted half out of tub floor, gained 10" rear ground clearance, room to move rear axle back and 5 gal. fuel cap.
Vented to outside with remote fender filler= no fumes :D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I placed my stock tank in the tub of my YJ. I ran the filler out to above the rear driver's side flare.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Mine is behind the back seat as well. The aluminum cells are actually cheaper than the plastic ones when you figure in the mounting brackets you have to buy for the plastic ones. Check out summit racing's house brand.

·
Registered
200 Posts
you should really check out the aluminum cells. a friend of mine got a 30 gal plastic one to put in the back of his truck for long weekends in the desert and it lasted about a year. the sun got to it and it warped all to hell. i think it holds baybe 25 now.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Ricktard said:
I wouldnt even consider a plastic/poly fuel cell for a jeep. Over time(very quickly) they will fade and start collapsing. Not exactly that safe since in collapses near the fill hole. Aluminum is the only way to go!! Especially if you are in the sun a lot, they seem to rot faster.
Yeah I got a plastic POS in my Wrangler, it will be thown in the trash, and replaced with aluminum ASAP, and yes, the fumes do get bad some times if you got a top on your heep.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
the top of the plastic cell in my old jeep warped a little, but nothing like you guys are making it sound like. i never ran a top so i never had the fume problem at all. i did lose alot of room for gear in it though. that and fumes if you run a top would be the main reasons i wouldn't run a cell in the tub.:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
not sure how this applies, but I have heard of the static electricity being a problem when filling plastic gas cans in the bed of a truck, could there be a real safety problem with a plastic fuel cell? or are they in some way grounded?
:confused:

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
fcfred said:
not sure how this applies, but I have heard of the static electricity being a problem when filling plastic gas cans in the bed of a truck, could there be a real safety problem with a plastic fuel cell? or are they in some way grounded?
:confused:
Actually that is the static between a plastic can and a plastic bed liner that could cause a problem there. If it's mounted to metal it should be fine.

·
5,729 Posts
We are planning on putting the fuel cell in the tub as well. Eric is going to build a steel box to enclose it, the Jeep will be our trail/family rig.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have the metal encased summit cell and it works great but it takes almost all of the space for gear. The fumes arent an issue if you vent to the outside just make sure you run your vent upwards then down. I topped mine off one time and went around a corner leaving the gas station and the vent must have siphoned out a gallon of gas all over the cooling fan below.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey I just put a cell in the back of my Cj. Anyone help me with a good place to get one of those Recessed fender fill things? I have found a few but 80$ for a gas cap and a round filler neck....comeon. Also I need it to fit 1 3/4 that was the size of the inlet on the cell. Don't want to change if I don't have to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts