Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one issue I need to sort out on my new rig is the fuel pick up.

23 gallon tank and the pickup is in the back. obviously when less then 1/2 a tank and going down hill the pickup goes dry.

my thought is to put in a second fuel pump with a pick up in the front of the tank and use a one way Y connection to plump the 2 pick ups together.

using a summit pump pictured
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G3137&N=700+4294925239+4294839053+4294836965+115&autoview=sku
I guess my question is does a Y connection with check valve exist for this purpose ?

how did you solve the pickup issue in your tank ?

Attachments

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
do I actually need a check valve to keep fuel from flowing backward thru the pump that goes dry ? or can I just use a Y fitting and the pump itself will be the checkvalve ?

Attachments

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't want to use the walbro snowmobile pickups?
I want to use the best system possible. I don't know anything about walbro snowmobile pickups.

ideally I would like a pick up in each corner

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I want to use the best system possible. I don't know anything about walbro snowmobile pickups.

ideally I would like a pick up in each corner
http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/pickups.html

They basically act as a check valve and close when they go dry. They are rather popular on your board, here. If you search on them, you'll see lots of applications.

But usually 2 or 3 of these in different locations, one with a bleed hole, works great. Tee them together on your pump's input.

Most fuel pumps get cooling effect from passing fuel through them, so running two and having one go dry might not be the best.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
camo the walbro pickups are the shizz.... I've got two that are weighted and swing with the fuel, one at each side of the tank. Can run on my side on less than a gallon of fuel.

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from that site

" Note:
If the fuel pickups are completely dry, the pump will suck air. The pickups won't close unless they have been initially immersed in fuel [the mesh is wet]."

does that mean bone dry or not partially submerged ?

what I am getting at does it work if you have a partial tank of fuel and the tank is on a steep angle for extended periods of time ? or do they work best for just trashing around where the fuel is sloshing around and a gulp of air is introduced ?

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
camo the walbro pickups are the shizz.... I've got two that are weighted and swing with the fuel, one at each side of the tank. Can run on my side on less than a gallon of fuel.
so would one in each corner of the tank and feeding my one pump be the hot ticket ?

I sort of like the 2 pump idea just for redundancy as I plan on pre running the baja 1000 in my rig and having a "spare" seems like a good idea.

maybe I will do 2 pumps and 4 pickups. ????

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
They will suck air if they have not been in fuel or if your tank is out of fuel for an extended time. They would have to be out of fuel long enough to for the screen to dry.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
so would one in each corner of the tank and feeding my one pump be the hot ticket ?

I sort of like the 2 pump idea just for redundancy as I plan on pre running the baja 1000 in my rig and having a "spare" seems like a good idea.

2 pumps 4 pickups would be the ticket. Just run the second pump off a second switch. That way you can switch it if you have a problem but you don't run chance of having a failed pump and not know it.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
Four is unnecessary for a single pump but since you're running two pumps four should work well. Are you going to have all 4 snowmobile pickups feed one pickup tube then split to two pumps outside the cell, or are you going to run a separate pickup tube in the cell for each pump?

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
why is 4 unnecessary ? I am thinking one in each corner ?

should be noted I intend to run the foam in my cell so the pickup will not be able to flop to the low side.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
When I used those before going to an internal pump, I used two snowmobile pickups (with an RCI 2161 tank) and placed them diagonally from each other in each corner. I could suck the tank dry and never had an issue at any angle or fuel level. Two works great, three ideal, 4 is overkill.

but you are camo....go with 4.

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
man I am confused.

how is 3 ideal ?

where would you place them ?

if they were placed
passenger front
driver front
passenger rear

then if I was low on fuel and off camber with the passenger side high going up hill I wouldn't have a pickup in the fuel

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts

im confused are you planning on running two pickups individually to a pump essentially creating two systems?

why not plumb the pump so they use the same pickup system?

G&J for the check valves, im sure they are cheaper

man I am confused.

how is 3 ideal ?

where would you place them ?

if they were placed
passenger front
driver front
passenger rear

then if I was low on fuel and off camber with the passenger side high going up hill I wouldn't have a pickup in the fuel
front middle and each back corner is what seems to be popular.

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
don't know what i am doing yet. trying to figure it out :laughing:

second pump might just be mounted as a spare and ready to have the lines switched over in case of failure.

·
Premium Member
9,587 Posts
man I am confused... where would you place them ?
if they were placed passenger front, driver front, and passenger rear then if I was low on fuel and off camber with the passenger side high going up hill I wouldn't have a pickup in the fuel
Dude, I have seen you drive. :laughing:
For your application, I'd put one on every flat side of the fuel cell so that you can spin your wheels in ANY position. :flipoff2:

Randii

1 - 20 of 180 Posts