Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on mounting a fuel cell from summit but would like some info first. Since there is not a real FAQ about fuel cells in samurais, I figured this could be a good spot to post some real info.....

1) What size cells are you guys running with samurai/sidekick engines?
2) In non-tubed rigs, whats the best way to run the fuel lines through the body to the engine?
3) What sender unit do you use?
4) Is anybody running a "clunk" style pickup, or what other pickup methods work well for picking fuel up in offcamber situations?
5) Is the 3rd line coming from the stock gastank to the charcoal canister necessary?

My rig has a 16V fuel injected motor if that makes a difference and the tank I am thinking of buying is the one pictured below. Thanks in advance
-Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
im not sure but gm fuel injected motors have a intank fuel pump with suzuki i have no clue as im run a carb also if you havent already got one id pick one with the 0-90 ohm chevy style sending unit. Being that you could run almost any after market fuel gauge

i know I keep refering to chevy but that and ACAD are my Roots and what i know

·
turd-polish-a-go-go
1,073 Posts
i built my own fuel cell. i got a bunch of 300 stainless commercial kitchen paneling from the scrapyard, and went to work. i built a heavy internal cage out of 1x1 square, and sheeted the sides. the bottom is heavier stuff, like 3/32". i put a removable ~9x9 port plate on the top that holds my float, feed, return, vent, and a capped aux port, so i can change my whole setup should i so choose. i cut out the rear crossmember when i added 4" to the rear of the frame, and built the tank to fit in the hole left by the stocker after the mod. tank holds 17 gallons, and has the same ground clearance as the stock tank. nice thing about the stainless is its high nickel content; it will stretch quite a bit, making it really puncture resistant.

i used a VDO sending unit and guage, it fit my application best. oh, and the fill neck is in the stock position.

if i had to do it again, i would probably buy a cell, because this fawker took too much time to build, and it used about $90 worth of metal. i would more likely buy a cell that fits well, and spend my fabrication efforts on mounting it safely and securely.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I put a 7 gallon Spun Alum tank in mine. Right behind the stock back seat. Left me more room underneath to move the axle back. I am using an inline ford pump mounted to the inside frame rail. The only lines I am using are one feed line and one return. I suppose that may answer your question about the extra lines. Worked good now for 2 years and I have a 1.6 8V. 7 gallons last me a little over a day even if I am heavy on the throttle all day.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up buying the 12 gallon summit fuel cell that is pictured in the original post. I'm running one pickup line, one return and one breather. Dont really care about all the other crap that went to the charcoal canister because I pulled that out too. Still not sure what I am going to do about smog....

For the pickup, I made a clunk out of some washers and a prefilter connected to the submersible fuel line in the tank. I'll post some pics later. Theoretically it should slide down to the bottom corner of the tank when I'm off camber and pickup the fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts