Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I have a 318 out of a 76 dodge in my buggy. It currently has holley pro-jection on it, but pro-jection is the poorest excuse for fuel injection I have ever seen!! It sucks to say the least. Soooooo, here is what I am looking for. Is there any stock fuel injection that will bolt onto my motor, and be able to have a stand alone computer? I don't really care if I have to change an intake, or heads, or buy some fancy ass computer and wiring harness, I just want to know if I can do it, and what parts I will need. I have been searching all over the net, but no one seems to know.

Thanx for any help you can give me.

Trevor

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's cool, but I'm still not sold on it being all that great of a unit. I haven't seen ANY aftermarket setup work as good as factory shit, that's why I'm looking for factory bolt on baby! :D

BTW- I guess I should mention that I want to keep my bottom end because I already have a shitload of money in it. I would also like to keep the heads if possible too for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
warlock440 said:
You could find an 87 to 89 Dodge truck with the factory throttle body injection..
I think that's your best bet too. When I went through my engine I looked into that in some detail, just couldn't find any parts around here. The heads used with that system (302's) aren't necessary to swap on, but they have the best flow characteristics with an easy/cheap swap - if you can get them too, do it. If you can find a donor, it should just be a direct bolt-on; IIRC it even uses a standard 2-bbl intake. It'll need an O2 sensor, but I don't think much else. If it does need a VSS signal I've got a sender that screws onto the speedometer drive at the tcase you can have. I'll try to look at some books this evening and refresh my memory.

The other option for a factory system is a heads-up swap to a Magnum. These intakes are different and will only work with the Magnum heads, and there's a lot more to hook up to the computer. I know it's been done, and makes a nice setup.

I'm pretty sure that (at least at one time) you could buy a stand-alone EFI from Mopar Performance. I tried to check this morning, but they're re-working their web site and it's not really functional. I'll check my paper catalog later.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Holley problems

What problems did you have with the Holley setup? I've heard it works relly well.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
factory TBI. thats the way i'm goin. ;)

i'd love for dodge to come out with a swap harness to put the 5.2 or 5.9 in an older vehicle(stand alone). they got one to put a viper motor in, why not a magnum motor?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
On the Magnums, I was forgetting the need to notch the bellhousing for the crank position sensor, and the need to run a Magnum flywheel/flexplate so that said sensor has something to sense. :D My books indicate that there were substantial changes in the Magnum EFI system, ECM and wiring harness pretty much every year. If you get one from a automatic, it needs to be the 46rh and not the 46re because the ECM cycles the shift solenoids in the re, and if they're not there it'll confuse the ECM and set enough error codes to make it go into "limp mode" :laughing:. Not sure what year they went from the rh to the re, but it was probably phased. '97-up had OBD-II and should be avoided for a transplant at all costs. Also the Magnums had a roller cam, and it's not clear how the system would respond to a flat-tappet cam with a much different profile. Best recommendation is that the earlier systems are simpler.

Again the TBI looks like the best bet unless you can get a complete Magnum.

I've not found my catalog yet, but will keep looking. Mopar Performance should be able to answer a lot of your questions but their number has always been busy when I've tried it lately. 248-969-1690

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I heard that if you get a harness off of a truck with a 5 speed, the harness is almost stand alone, because the computor doesent control the tranny.
Oh, and i am 90% sure i have a 46re in my ram... why the hell couldnt they left the 727 alone, and tacked on an overdrive like the gear vendors unit?

Garrett

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
chris durham told me the same thing about the manual trans magnums. i forget what year truck he was talkin about though.......:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts