Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my truck gets warm, I begin to smell gas while driving down the road and whenever I put the truck in a torque intensive position it chokes out. Do I just need to adjust the carb, could I have water in my distributor cap, etc.......?????

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Start by checking all the rubber lines in the fuel system for cracks and leaks. It also sounds like the carb needs to be adjusted or rebuilt, check the float and make sure it's not full of gas. Which carb is it?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It sounds like your float is overflowing... This can be caused by either too much fuel pressure or your needle valve leaking. When you smell the gas, open the hood and look around the engine for any wet spots that might be gas. If it's from your carb, your truck will probaly run better once the problem is fixed

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a Edlebrock performer.
thanks for the help

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but it's done that since I got the truck and I wasn't having problems until recently

What could that have to do with the prob?

·
RIP Angel
7,532 Posts
78 K5 said:
Yeah, but it's done that since I got the truck and I wasn't having problems until recently

What could that have to do with the prob?
I have a 76, had the same problem. Found a small gas leak in a 6" piece of tubing under the pass door. Replaced it. Needle stopped dancing prob. appears to be solved. Needle danced along time before prob started for me too. I think its from pressure being lost from the crack!!

64Trvlr said:
Start by checking all the rubber lines in the fuel system for cracks and leaks.
I snickered when I read this. Said thats it! PM me if u want to go into greater detail. Besides its a cheap place to start. :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's crazy, I just replace a little rubber piece under the pass. door and I bet it's not properly sealed. I'll check it out and get back with you. Pirate comes through again :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts