Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel pump question.
I use my fj40 every day and need a new fuel pump.
Question is, should I go with mechanical or electric?
The prices seem to be close enough to go either way.

Thanks

Oh, and I have a '78 with a 2F that is later than '78, I think 79-81?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I vote for mechanical, they last a 100k easy, OEM is about $100, aftermarket is $50........I went OEM. I "think" the 78 fuel pump is rebuildable as well, latter(like 81+) is not.

John H

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mechanical

Keep mechanical because there are a few other items needed when going electrical like a pressure switch that bring the price and chance of problems up a bit.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Ditto.... OEM mechanical.

Good for 100K. Nice thing about the "oem" is the screw assembly. I have repaired "bad fuel pumps" by taking off the top valve assembly. Cleaning out the crud, and worked like a champ! No, didn't even replace the rubber gasket.

I think the '79 and later are the THREE FITTINGS fuel pump, earlier are just two fittings (and rebuildable).

Save your self some time and order a new gasket & spacer when you order the fuel pump. Usually old gaskets are stuck to the spacer... or worse no spacer was used (short pump life, and high pressure at the carb... neither are good).

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am going to play the black sheep here. :flipoff2:

I would go electric. I didn't have to install a pressure switch or anything. It works great and has worked great. You could go and do all that extra stuff like gauges and switches but I didn't and not had any issues to this day. I have had my electric pump since 98'. It is a DD as well as a very capable wheeler.

The reason I went with electric: The motor was starving for gas in high water and high angle rock crawling. If the motor slows down for any reason then the fuel pump does too. The electric pump gives you gas at all times and then you go in and lower the float levels for a little fine tuning to rock crawl.

After saying all that, I have a friend with all stock FJ40 and his rig climbs straight up without dying. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Thanks for the advice. I gusee I'm going to go mechanical
since there's a toyota dealer 5 miles away. Still not sure what I have, but the dealership came up with 2, so I'll have them order both, and then take the one that looks right.

Thanks very much for responding to my question.

Happy Trails

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
The beck arnley fuel pumps from kragen and other auto places are made by Kyosan Denki(sp?) and are the same as the OEM just cheaper.

-Brett

1 - 7 of 7 Posts