Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 gallon fuel cell that I am putting into my 95 ZJ with the 318. The Factory Service Manual says that fuel pressure regulator is set at 39 to 41 PSI and the pressure at injectors is 39 + or - 2 PSI.

So I assumed I needed an external electric fuel pump to push 39-41 psi. I went to the local parts store and the strongest they have is 6 psi. What are you guys running for fuel pumps and where can I get one at a good price?

I admit I don't now much about this so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Cody

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
For external pumps, you are looking for in-line fuel pumps. E-Bay always has a bunch, Jegs and Summitt also sell them. They start at about $100 for one made by MSD and go way up $$$ from there.

FWIW, I found the exact same pump as the MSD pump on Ebay for $35; works great. Usually a lot of Bosch units on EBay as well which are fairly good quality. Any pump designed for port injection should work; likely the pressure will be higher than you need which should be fine as your regulator will bleed off the pressure to keep it within the desired range. Don't go hog-wild on a high pressure pump that far exceeds what you need.

Unfortunately, the best arrangement would be an in-tank pump, but you've settled against that. With the external in-line pump, try to mount it as close the tank as possible, and below the lowest part of the tank if possible. They generally push high pressure, but they really don't like to have to work to suck the fuel out of the tank.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Go to AutoZone and tell them you have an '89 F150 with a 5.0. You will get an E2000 pump. It will run $79 with a lifetime warranty.:D

It's the same one I use for my 4.0 conversion.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, I've been reading old topics for hours and I keep seing the e2000 pump from Auto Zone.

Much more reasonably priced than the ones I was seeing on Summit racing.

more reading to do.......

Cody

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
what are the specs on this e2000 pump. psi and gph ? also is it a self priming pump ?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
If I remember right, its about 40 psi and 15 gals a minute.

I am running it back near the fuel tank on the frame. The fuel tank is a 33 gallon, so it hangs much lower than the pump, but I have not had any problems in 3 years.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
OK, I found this.

"Airtex #E2000 which is a frame mounted pump w /70-95psi cut off and 30-40gph. used on 83-91 Ford products 4-6-8 cyl."

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
External High pressure

Application 1993 Bronco Autozone P/N E2000, about $75, and uses a hose clamp on each end, the output side uses a removable fitting that can be modified to take an AN hose end.

In Tank High Pressure

Application 1986 Chevy Camaro with Fuel injection. Look in the bottom for an inlet screen just inside the pump, some versions don't have it. You'll find one if you try more than once. This has a clamp on hose also

In tank Low Pressure pump

Application 1979 Chevy Monza with 3.8 liter V6. This is about half the size and half the price of the high pressure pump and was meant to feed a 2 barrel carb. It makes a good sump feed pump.

External Filter

A good external filter is a Purolator F33144, this comes in different brands an is another generic GM part. You can get AN hose adapters from several companies for this filter. The smallest size adapter fits an AN6 line.

Wiring

Fuel Safe sells a wiring kit containing stainless hardware and nylon spacers to run electrical wires into a fuel tank. they are under a buck for a one screw kit.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just went to AZ and bought the e2000 pump and it was 99.99.

Inflation? or do you guys that are getting it for 75 know something I don't?

Cody

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
In my local store: External e2000
MASTER FUEL PUMP for a 1989 FORD TRUCK F150 3/4 TON P/U 4WD

Unit Price: $75.99
Core Value*: $0.00
Part No.: E2000

I think its all just where you are buying it.

MJ

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also, I purchased an additional filter to run between the tank and the pump. I wasn't sure what filter to get so I just purchased the same filter that I have after the pump--the one that's listed for a 95 ZJ w/ the v8. Is there any reason this filter will not work? Is it too fine or does it even make a difference?

I don't know to what level it filters.

Cody

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
That autozone price I put up was from 2000...Inflation and where you buy it?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
moab Zj I see that you got your fuel pump already. I just installed an in line 6 cylinder out of 2000 tj into a 97 and ran into the problem that their isnt a return line off the the injector rack like a lot of other injected units have. this caused the pump to presure up and and shutt off , also it would hold the injectors open under pressure for a fraction of a second causing it to run rich. The fix was to put a return line back to the tank after the pump with an 1/8 inch needle valve from the hardware store. Now the motor and pump run smooth like they should , and this problem was with a pump that puts out a max 45psi and the injectors require between 37 to 42psi. THe fix was given to me by a 27 year veteran jeep mechanic that has done a number of motor swaps in his off hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts