Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to build a custom gauge cluster for my truck. I was wondering what the OHM reading was on the factory sending unit so I can buy the right fuel gauge. If I can buy a gauge that will work with the factory sender unit it would save me a little cash.

Oh it's a 87 carb'd 22r if that makes a difference

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ROKTOY. A freind of mine has a fuel gauge that is 0 to 90 ohms that I could get for next to nothing but I don't geuss that will work or will it? Well after thinking about it,it might work but the reading would be off a little I would think. What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Sounds like the GM one that moves opposite polarity of the Toy sender.

Ford / Chrysler one is 73-10 ohm. I am using one of these and have scaled my sender with some power resistors to make the range match.

Haven't fully exercised the gauge yet as I've only ever run about 5-7 gallons off the top of my tank.

Jay

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Jay I gave you the wrong info. I got my numbers backwards,the chevy sender runs 90 to 0. After talking with a freind I relized I typed the numbers backwards. Maybe my head was on backwards that day:D . Do you think it would somewhat work to use the Toyota sender with a 90 to 0 ohm gauge,or would it not work at all?

Doing this, would it either give a slightly different reading or burn the gauge up?

Thanks

·
Registered
695 Posts
From the research I've done, the Toy sender on my '84 is a 90-0 ohm sender while a GM sender is a 0-90 ohm.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i thought a couple of people on here have hooked that gm sender up in reverse thus fixing the E-F prob??

or you can just use E as 'Enjoy the road' and F as 'Fawked on the shoulder':flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Booger Weldz said:
i thought a couple of people on here have hooked that gm sender up in reverse thus fixing the E-F prob??

or you can just use E as 'Enjoy the road' and F as 'Fawked on the shoulder':flipoff2: :D
Thats funny......

But I like it,might create a "dude your on empty,ain't you gonna get gas before we hit the mountain" thing. Just say naaaa, this little 4 banger is great on gas.

·
Registered
695 Posts
There is some info on this page about making your fuel guage look normal even though it operates backwards.

Fuel Guage Mod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts