Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 4 seat family buggy, with fj clip. I am trying to maximize space for gear and spare parts. I thought about having a cell built that fits in the cowl. Do you guys think the weight would be too high there? What other issues can you guys think of?

·
Registered
933 Posts
If it were me I'd find somewhere else to put it. Thats an odd and possibly dangerous place. It would definelty add weight well above the COG but I'm not sure how noticable it would be. Downsides I see are spill a little gas while filling up and it running onto dash/seats. Or some escaping while making a climb and running into your lap. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I wouldn't want the gas to be that close to the motor... Lots of chances for something to go wrong there.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a real good tank builder, so Im not worried about it leaking. As far as damage, I probably would keep it away from the sides. My kids will be in the back, so Im more concerned about them than me. these are all definately things to be concerned about, but I think I can deal with them. Do you guys think it will make it that much more top heavy?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I would use it as storage for parts/tools/lunch. Not a fuel tank. If anything were to happen and a hose got ripped off or you got a holes in it the fuel would eather be on you or a hot motor. Plus a long/flat tank is more prone to fuel starvation than a tall/vertical one.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I agree with all that's been said, above. But, Ford put there fuel tanks in the cowl up until '32.
My old '31 roaster used to smell like a gas station!
Wonder why Ford moved to the rear in '32?:D

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would use it as storage for parts/tools/lunch. Not a fuel tank. If anything were to happen and a hose got ripped off or you got a holes in it the fuel would eather be on you or a hot motor. Plus a long/flat tank is more prone to fuel starvation than a tall/vertical one.
I had thought about the storage thing too. My main deal was getting it away from the kids in the back. I will probably go ahead and put it in the rear, and make a cover to isolate it from the interior of the rig. Thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
my main concern would be rolling upside down and watching the gas pour out in front of me.:(

i used a blader style fuelcell that has a plastic cell mounted inside an alluminum box and sealed up tight . been upside down many times and not a drop so far.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
If you think about it--where do most fires on our rigs start--the engine bay area--do you want a possable bomb really close to it?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you think about it--where do most fires on our rigs start--the engine bay area--do you want a possable bomb really close to it?
Good point. Its goin in the rear.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Good point. Its goin in the rear.
But I will say :smokin: on your idea--like to see people contiplate different ideas :smokin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts