Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My inspiration to build this cage is the fact the stock one is a death trap. To start, the stock mounting pads for the stock roll cage are pathetic at best. I am beefing both front and rear up with some 3/16" steel plate. The rears will be held in place with four grade 8 bolts per corner. The fronts will be welded down.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next step was to build the rear hoop. I wanted to maintain the stock lines except utilizing a hoop form.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Working up some bracing, coping, and preliminary mock-up.

These tube clamps will be used in the front to be able to remove the front plastics.

That's all I have done for now. I will be working on it all weekend and hope to have it completed. More to follow. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Built spreaders and some cross bracing this weekend. Cage will drop approx. 3/4" once I cope the bottoms of the cage to fit the mounting pads. Next will be work on the rear cross bracing as well as hooking up the 4 points.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Any progression on this? Nice work!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice cage work.

I like your cylinder mount on your bender.
Thanks. The cylinder mount is just a 3" piece of pipe cut in half with two pieces of plate with holes for bolts welded to each end of the pipe to form a clamp. Then there is a smaller piece of tube (sleeve) that slides over the outside bolt of the bender that is attached to the 3" clamp. On the arm end there is a piece of tube (sleeve) that goes over the outside bolt of the arm that has an old steel socket that fit over the end of the ram rod welded to it. Wallah, done. I got the idea from OffRoadFabNet.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally was able to get some work done on this thing. I apologize for the delay. I have been extremely busy. :shaking:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Pretty freakin' sweet! Those are some nice fat welds on those joints. What thickness of tube are you using?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Pretty freakin' sweet! Those are some nice fat welds on those joints. What thickness of tube are you using?
Thanks! The tube is 1 3/4" .095" wall DOM.

VERY nice indeed! Be sure to post up pics when it is painted and installed. How do you like the RZR?
Thank you. I will have some painted and assembled pictures up hopefully by the end of the week.

I like the RZR so far better than other UTVs that I have driven in terms of performance. The power and the ride are great. The one negative I don't like is the build quality. I wasn't too impressed with the stoutness of the frame and overall quality of assembly. Overall I am happy with it however.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts