Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this A good Front end, I have Pics if needed, I also found a huge 1 ton rear floater axle!

·
Registered
486 Posts
dude all front axles are full float by nature. it would be impossible to steer without it being full float

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Axle Help

Ok.. Im a crack head, Sorry for the Stupid Question! Can you help me find out what these are???

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
NCZ71 said:
rear is an eaton HO172 i think, front i dont know, probably a 60
ball joints, external hubs in a chevy, steering arm, brake style, they weren't offered until late 70's, etc, not a 60. try external hub 44 with some funky ass old school lockouts.
eaton rear. there are some very good things said about eatons. grab on it. it is what the 14 was based on and many of them came with low gears. This one would of course match your front (you hope).
nothing special about the front. still not a bad find. just regular 3/4 ton stuff.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks like a "high clearance" external hub'd d44 on the front. Just a hub built to now stick out as much, maybe a good thing, until you break one and need to find service parts for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those hubs pictured are orginal DANA SPICER locking hubs. I have a set on my '67 K20 D44 front. I'll bet that is a Dana 44 front out out a early 70s GM, since it has disks it must be a 71 & up Chevy/GMC. They are not that great of hubs, it only thakes a 1/4 turn to engauge them and sometimes they would slip out on one side and self destruct. There were two types of hubs, the large external (what you have) and a smaller external, used on half ton D44 fronts. Not all that rare and not very dependable. The top pic is the glove box sticker from my truck, the bottom pic is the owners book that came with the truck.

The Best replacement for those is the Warn 9072 Premium hub.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The rear:
If it's a 3/4 ton, HO52 Eaton.
If it's 1 ton it's a HO72 Eaton.
Only two gearsets came in those axles, 4.56R w/4.55F
or a 4.10 rear w/4.09F. It the truck is equipped with the No-Spin Rear option that is a Factory Detroit Locker, worth about 150-200 bucks to old chevy truck nuts. Looks like it has overload springs. Is this a 1 tonner or just a 3/4 camper special?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I thought there was a 5.13 gear set as well...from the earlier 1 ton dumps or trucks...

Brian

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some one put these axles under this truck, Axle swap! I wont know until I pull them I guess! So the front axle I can modernize?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts