Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan to make my own full floater for a Toy axle. Making the adaptors is no problem, as i have access to a lathe.

How thick are FROFABS adaptors?

How long are the axles?

Does this widen the rearend?

I'm thinking that i night be able to cut down and respline some C-body Mopar axles to end up with a flanged axle.I'd rather go this way than running drive flanges or hubs. I hear that you end up with alot more slop with all the extra splined connections, and my Detroit has enough on its own.

Thanx

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
yea lemme pay 700+ for a kit then go measure it so you can copy it for free...

just sit down with all the parts in hand and figure it up, you could make the adapters as wide as you wanted so you could add some width, then the shaft lenght would change anyhow...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally see your point, DSI. I just want to do mine a bit differently, thats all.

Are you running locking hubs? Lots more slop?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
i cna't really notice any hub slop, and i run a spool so they stay loaded 99% of the time anyhow

·
Registered
167 Posts
Toyota already makes a full floater, you can buy em' for $250 a pop, make your disc adapters, spacers for the hubs, and you are good to go. All wear/breakable parts are oem and available at dealers and junkyards.

·
Registered
509 Posts
BAJowett said:
Toyota already makes a full floater, you can buy em' for $250 a pop, make your disc adapters, spacers for the hubs, and you are good to go. All wear/breakable parts are oem and available at dealers and junkyards.

where do you get a toyota factory full floater for $250.00
:confused:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BAJowett said:

My crystal ball is foggy today.......what parts are you talking about?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If I rember correctly its a 2wd 1 ton axle. I have thought about doing this to mine. I just cant seem to find a doner truck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This a full floater axle from a 1 ton Toyota truck (as mentioned above), it cost me about $250 to purchase. You don't need any custom axle shafts or other potentially breakable custom parts. The stock 1 ton hub has a large 6 on 7.25" pattern and can't be used. Front hubs will fit, but a small spacer needs to be machined and welded onto the hub in order for the stock flanged axle shaft to bolt up. Then weld on some disc brake caliper adapters, flip the pads and you are good to go.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Are these the same that are under those mini Uhaul Toyota's? These are NOT common around here, but might be worth harassing a few local uhaul places and see where they disappear to when they go out of service. I know you've answered this before, but what's the width of these?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Toyota sold plenty of these to the public from roughly 86 on up, not just U-haul (yes these are the same). I'm not saying they are common, but if I can find one in western Massachusetts, well then.....:p

You'll get a width in the 64 - 65" range depending on hubs wheels etc.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I'm going to keep my eyes open and call around and see what I can find. This should be a more common swap I would think :confused:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
so you guys 40 and 60 series were never offered in a floater?

NICK

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I've been look'n for a Full float Cruiser axle for years. They aren't very common and if you find one, you won't be able to buy it for $250 bucks. Most of the cruiser full floaters came on Deisels and they weren't available here. Try Canandia or ask some mate to pick one up on the way back from his kangaroo hunt! Buy the way does anyone have one for sale?:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
the other day i saw a toy uhaul on the side of the road. all burnt. i should of snagged the axle

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I was gonna do the toyota FF swap but the dick heads at the junk yard in Nj didnt want to ship it, and it even had 5.29 gears in it and he wanted $250 for it. but i found a dana 60 35 spline Semi-Float that im gonna use instead if i can find time to go pick it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts