Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 9" considered a full floating or semi-floating axle? I notice every other axle refered to as whether they are FF or SF, but I've never thought about a 9" before. If it is SF, can it be converted to FF? Or does it use a different system altogether (not that I know one).

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
not sure if Warn is still making hte kit or if they just stopped the 35spline kit (I was one of the first two pre production releases of the 35sp kit)

to convert a SF 9" (standard) to a FF, you would need basically everything different except the housing it self and the center section. the axles, wheel hub, and spindle assembly would all be different. The brakes may or may not be able to be used depending on if you got a bolt on spindle or a weld on spindle....

:usa:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
A full float axle uses hubs to support the weight of the vehicle.
The axle shaft bolts to the out side of the hub. That way, the shafts only transmit rotational torque, but does not take on the dutys of supporting the vehicle weight. These are generally found in 3/4 ton and bigger trucks because of their obvious load carying capabilities.

A semi float uses the axle shaft to support the weight of the vehicle as well as transmit rotational torque. The shaft runs in a set of bearings at the end of the axle housing that take the weight of the vehicle.

A full floater is easy to spot, just look for the hub sticking out from the center of the wheel. Not a chrome center cap, but a hub with the axle shaft bolted to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts