Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there using one of these for a Full Hydro power steering fluid cooler. (Well, besides me) I just put one on my buggy and wondering if I will have any problems down the road. I had one of the B&M Supercoolers on my power steering and tranny until it broke so I replaced them with these. Just Curious. Oh Yeah my trans temp is running about 160-180 but I have yet to put it under a heavy load for a long period of time.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have one too. They're awful similar to the "thermosiphons" used on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline.

I'm still in building stage, so I cannot comment on their efficacy, but PSC has been very good to me on their other recommendations.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I,m runnin one on my POS system. Works good I have yet to overheat the system.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
locktup is running the cooler that comes with Howes setup. He said it works great.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've used one - mounted behind my winch, as a trans cooler and I'd say it works well, in fact, it works better that the B&M trans cooler w/ an electric fan that I had previously.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, that's what I needed to know. I've noticed that the fins were getting pretty hot (yes, I know that's what its supposed to do) so I put a trans temp guage on it and was satisfied with the results. I was just wondering what others experiences were.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I am using one from Moroso. It went on when the jeep was converted to full hydro in 2004 and it has worked well. I have it mounted on the driver's side shock hoop above the front tire.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
it works better that the B&M trans cooler w/ an electric fan that I had previously.
This is what i've heard as well, and I just got done installing a cooler/fan combo :laughing:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I actually run two of these (12" long) side by side, then feeding back into the reservoir. I'm happy with the results after one run with them installed. I get a little more fluid capacity and cooler temps.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Yep, using one also. Steering plus hyrdoboost. Mounted mine on the passenger side frame rail of the YJ.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
using $8 ebay moroso unit, with on a J20 box (no hydro yet) mounted under the radiator so it can get some air flow.. It has never run hot..

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
bringing this one back up....

i just got my psc hydro kit in, and my buddy has one of these style coolers (12" from PSC)...

i called about it, and incedentally, the guy at psc says NOT to run them laying flat, which is wierd, because that is the only way that i have seen people mount them...

i dont have a whole lot of room in my buggy, certainly not enuff to mount this bastard vertical....

the given reason for NOT mounting them laying down was to ensure all the air gets out of the system....

anyone have any comments on this?

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
anyone have any comments on this?

That makes sense - since the ports are centered in the tube and air can get trapped above as the fluid passes through. Just unmount it and tilt it as much as possible while bleeding the system - then solid mount it horizontal. Just an idea.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am also running one and have had not overheating problems I have a Poision Spyder comp stinger and I have it mounted in the protected pocket behind it and below the winch and it works great.

·
Registered
19,482 Posts
I could see that being a problem if you were using it on the pressure side. Which you aren't. That inline filter will be on the return line back to the reservior. When I installed my system I filled up the cooler vertically with a turkey baster, installed the line, then routed it to the reservoir. After 1 trip wheelin and getting off camber I have zero issues with the steering setup.

Mine is mounted right behind the grill.

·
Registered
19,482 Posts
don't forget to wrap your fittings with pipe tape before install. It gets a little messy taking all back apart when you forget. :D Those are even NPT fittings and mine still leaked. :homer:

·
Registered
676 Posts
How about an update on these?
Do they really work that much better then the standard trans cooler?
I need to run an additional cooler for my trans soon.
And I need to get a cooler for my power steering as well (hydroboost now, and assist will happen pretty soon).

I like the look of these, and they would seem to block a lot less air from flowing into the radiator then the traditional coolers would.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts