Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much did your setup cost? Post up pics of your setup too if you have them.

Does anyone know which forklifts (make & model) have 4 port orbital valves with a 7.5 CI rating? I don't have $400 for a new one, so I need to find a used one that will work with my stock pump and 2.5x8 cylinder. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an eaton char-lynn valve and the numbers on the sticker say
C/N:211-1010-002
S/N:070926ABU0058
P/N:211-1010-002
The Top where The Lines Go - RP LT 7F14
The Bottom Says - 12741 WF 11
I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
-1 KRC Al pump with an E flow valve $200
-1 PSC unmodded P-pump $130
-Homebrew 2gal reservoir with leftover remote filter mount and weld in NPT and JIC bungs and a vented cap $30
-Orbital from POS, 7.6cu/in/rev, load reaction, short steering shaft, mounting plate, anti-kickback valve $500
-2-1/2" x 8" DE ram with a 1-1/2" shaft $190
-Clevices from POS $80
-4 QA1 XM 3/4x3/4 rod ends $100
-3ft of 1-3/8" .375 wall DOM $40
-Twin pump mounting plate shot on a CNC plas $75
-Derale cooler with fan (ebay, NIB) $75
-Hose, field service fittings, unions, pushlok fittings, crimp fittings, sight tube tubing, etc. $400

It's all rough and as I recall, still alot. If I didn't love my steering so much now I'd probably shoot myself in the foot.

Total: $1820 :(

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I built the steering on this ranger:

Saginaw "hamcan res" pump. (for Econoline van) $50
2x8 TSC ram $70
2 wire hose and field service fittings $100
Big Summit racing cooler $40
Used Danfoss 6.0in^3/rev valve $150
Short column, valve mount, 2 3/4x3/4 rod ends, ps pump fitting to #6JIC from POS. $125
DOM for tierod and 3/4 steel for ram mount $25

Right at $600. Works awesome. Drives pretty good on the street too:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I bought my used Char-Lynn orbital valve from a member on here for $150
I got my 2X8 Ram from tractor supply for $70
Had my hoses made for around $65
I Am using my stock pump with no cooler. I made the tabs and mounts out of scrap iron that I had lying around. Im running this set-up on my K5 with detriot locked rockwells, and 49" v-treads and it works great. Sorry, no pics.........

·
Registered
521 Posts
Used Char-lynn orbital off of Ebay (9.7 cu in) - $115 Here is the valve...http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008120716293430&item=9-1882&catname=hydraulic
2.5" X 8" ram, hoses, and fittings from Surplus Center - $130
Rebuilt P-pump (drilled out the high pressure fitting) - $40ish
1.5" OD X 0.25" wall DOM - $35
1 ton TREs (borrowed a buddy's reamer for the knuckles)- $40
Tubing adapters - $22
Tabs (had the machine shop drill the 1" holes, but I cut them out)- $15
Had O'Reilly's crimp on a new fitting on my stock high pressure hose - $5
Stop for ram from Tractor Supply - $8
Made my own orbital mount out of some scrap - freebie
Got a forklift column for free. Welded the input from my old steering box to it so it would accept my steering shaft. - freebie

That's $410 for everything listed. I still need to add a bigger reservoir, filter, and cooler down the road. I have about 3.5 turns lock to lock. I can turn 39.5" Iroks on dry pavement, welded spiders, hubs locked in, with one finger. Here are some pics...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I got my valve from a hyster h 50 forklift..There is a yard in ga by the atlanta motor speedway in clayton county that sells em for 100 cash..

Rough cost was
valve $100
-6 female to female swivel fittings X4 $25
Hydro hoses and fittings from northern tool $110
Return line filter housing and filter $20
Home brew tank $13 (new filler cap, used old npt unions for fittings welded to the tank. Made tank from scrap angle iron and 4" wide flat stock 1/8 thick.
2" 8" cylinder from TSC $75
Home brew mounts for cylinder from 1" thick ar300 plate steel and 2x3 tubing $free

Works great and never has overheated fluid..Ive driven it on the street and in heavy NYC traffic through midtown at rush hour and back from queens to brooklyn for a week.

I later built a new tie rod from 2 1/2" .250 wall hrew tubing.I used solid steel shaft from a industrial conveyor that we had lying around at work in the ends.I drilled the holes to tap in the ends of the stock tie rod offset a little to the edge..tapped in the 2" tie rod stubs so i could reuse the stock tie rods..I cant find a pic but it works like a champ.I bent the old one hitting a rock pretty hard on a hillclimb.

My next upgrade when i swap in the 60 is to get a double ended ram. sorry its a dodge in the chevy forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
one more

second pic you can see the big fat tie rod a little..

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
Good thread. Before I went to full hydro, my steering was always breaking. I used cheap hydro assist rams that would bind and sloppy saginaw boxes that would constantly break ears. I spent dozens of hours researching full hydro and decided I wanted to save up for something that actually works. That is not to say that homebrew systems can't work well- I just don't have connections to forklift and tractor parts here locally. So I ended up using mostly "brand name" components, because when I tried to piece each part of it together, it ended up being more expensive. I searched and searched and it seems like unless you know somebody, it's harder to buy the field-serviceable 90 degree fittings cheaper than PSC sells them. I built my system with trail repair in mind, which added to the costs of hoses, fittings, and I now also carry an entire spare pump.

If I had to do it again, I would spend the time to locate an orbital dealer to find a better price on a steering valve. I did go through a PSC dealer on this board that saved me about 15% off the retail costs that are posted on the PSC items below. Here are the rough costs of the parts.

PSC 7.5 c.i. orbital- $330
Steering column and orbital bracket- $70
Field serviceable single wire hose and fittings- $100 from PSC
2.5" 8" throw PSC cylinder with mounting hardware- $300ish
"BIG" clevis kit- $100 from PSC
Tie rod and heim kit with misalignment spacers- $100 from PSC
High steer arms with chromoly stud kit- $186 from KOZ offroad
Appleton reservoir from Station- $155
P.O.S. TC pump from Station- $235
Spare Summit TC pump with AN fittings- $170
28" hg 3/4" ID Suction line- $10 from Discount hydraulic hose
~15 feet of spare double wire hose- $20 from Discount hydraulic hose
-10 AN female thread to 3/4" barb instant hose fittings- $8 from Clearwater Hydraulics in Idaho
Amsoil Synthetic Tractor Transmission Fluid- $8/quart from 4x4oil

I know it's a Ford axle but the rear is Chevy, does that count? :D The system is probably the best offroad steering I have ever driven. Spooled with drive flanges, I can turn 40" LTBs on pavement at idle with my pinky, and at speed there is no lag or wandering. The only problem I've had was small issue with my p/s pump, which Station was very helpful with. I know you are looking for cheap, so maybe this doesn't help you. But take a good look at Seanzy's setup especially. It likes to spit clevis pins, but otherwise works well.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Mine is the homemade jobber and it works great. I got my orbital valve off of a old Gleaner G combine. Any of the old combines will have this style valve. I got my brother one off of a old new holand combine and it was identical. It gave me about 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. I have more $ in the hoses than any thing else. I got my cylinder from Atwoods and use my stock GM pump. I am turning 38.5x15x16.5 boggers on a welded Dana 60 and it works great. Before I went hydro I could barley turn my wheeles with it be welded. Best mod I have ever done and probably have about $200 total in it.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Rockstopmer Ram etc.: 450$
Orbital valve etc.: 350$
Heim Joints: 70$

Works beautifully and runs down the road great...

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
just going off the top of my head....

orbital from local guy - $40
modified stock PS pump via redneck ram website - $free
2" x 10" ram, surpluscenter.com - $80
lines, surpluscenter.com - $32
"steering column" surpluscenter.com - $40 (they've gone up since then)
fittings, surpluscenter.com & summitracing.com - $25
ATF - $5
i made the orbital and ram mounts myself - $free

basically... just over $200 for everything.

i'm doing a new truck and it looks like i'm going to come in around $160, but i traded a transmission with a cracked case for the orbital & steering column... so however you want to count that.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
this is a good thread, im hoping to put full hydro on my jeep this summer, might not happen depends on how much money i am able to make this summer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

$700 system

PSC 9.5 CI vavle
2.5x8 Surplus center Eaton ram
PSC hose kit
PSC mount
PSC colum (3/4 30spline)
2 shanks from Northern tool

Now If I can figure out where to mount the Huge cylinder, I could start the pluming. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hahaha. Too bad I don't coils up front, I could of used that setup. Now I've gotta come up with somthing else. lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
First I got to say that drawbar welded to the spring perch is probably the coolest mount I've seen yet for the TSC/Tie-rod type cylinder I've seen yet. Great idea!

I call Station at POS and asked him to spec my steering valve. Sean doesn't do single ended cylinder systems, so I did not get my cylinder from POS. I told him I wanted no more than 3 turns lock to lock, and he spec'd the valve (~$300), sold me the short column ($70), valve mount bracket ($10), and an external shock valve ($30).

I then purchased from PolyPerformance a PSC single ended 2.0x8x1.125 cylinder ($150), and their hose kit ($70), and hardware kit ($80)

I spent another $50 at the local hydraulic shop on fittings I needed, all field serviceable.

My high steer arms I made myself from a CAD drawing found right here in PBB.

The tie rod is 1.25OD and 3/8 wall thickness, with CRS ends turned on a lathe and threaded to 3/4-16 for the rod ends. Rod ends I got from a friend with connections (free).

I also purchased two universals for my steering shaft ($60)

Now that I add all the numbers up ($850)... damn! I got's some cash in the steering! Didn't really put it all together like that since it was spread over about 6 months gathering parts....:flipoff2:

The cylinder mount is made of 2x6x.250 rectagle box tubing, with a 1x3x5 piece of CRS cantilevered off the top of the box tubing. Turned out well I think.

Here are mock-up pics:

I don't have any pics handy of the final valve mount, as it has changed since the addition of the shorty headers due to interference issues, but it looks a lot the same as some already pictured...

I do run this from a stock ham can saginaw pump. I'm going to fab an external tank piped into the top of the pump for added oil capacity. And I run the Amsoil tractor fluid as well. So far, so good.

With the cylinder I selected, and the valve from Station, I get about 3 turns to lock one way, and about 2.5 turns the other. Perfect for me. And it's fast too!

Overall this setup works great. Best damn money I've spent on the rig besides the D60 front. Easy steering, even with a flanged and welded 60.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
went the full PSC route. didn't want to skimp on steering and wanted a company who would back up their product.

got it during one of their X-mas specials 2 years ago. works great (drive flanges and 42s)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts