Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is what I have,Full hydro steering from PSC with rear steer on rocks,I have the P pump feeding a 5 port orbital and using the competition rear control valve and it all returns to a remote res. with the extra fitting for the rearsteer return line so there are no tees.Here is my issue,I have blown the seal out between the pump and can 3 times now.The first time we chaulked it up to me fucking up the can when I pulled it off my old motor and mounted it on the new(went from chevy to ford when I built the new rig).The pump and res. were the only used parts I had on the new set up and they only had 2 runs on them from last season.So I put a new pump on and made a couple minor plumbing changes to help get air out of the system,now with this setup my res. had just the single return port so there was a tee for the rear.I got it together,run it behind the house for about 20 minutes just to flex the suspen. and try it out and the steering seemed ok,not right but did work.If I tried the rear I was getting some back feeding into the steering wheel.I went to pull up to the house and the seal blew out again on the pump.I called PSC and decided my res. which was bought last year,had the baffle in the top was restricting the venting and building pressure so I bought a new res.with the extra port so I could get rid of the tee and got some more orings so I could just fix the pump myself .At this time I installed a different cooler with a fan and moved the res. even higher.I got it working on sat. and seemed to have the air out(just a couple tiny bubbles with the engine running).I started it this morning and with out me touching the steering wheel, the tires turned to the right,I have been having an Issue with this while I was bleeding it, without the tierods hooked up and turning the steering wheel,if I turned the wheel one way and let go of the wheel it will keep going until the ram stops it when it reaches the opposite side.Anyways I drove the buggy around the yard for about 10 minutes doing a couple figure 8s and the seal blew again.Here are a couple of pics,I am taking a guess that I might have a bad orbital.I am getting pissed that my buddy with his $500 junkyard tractor steering parts can go wheeling and I have missed 2 wheeling trips because of my $2500 steering setup.

·
Registered
690 Posts
steering

Your pump should be feeding your "P" on your orbital. Your "T" on the orbital goes to cooler which in turn continues to the res. "L" and "R" go to the front ram of course. The Power beyond port on your orbital goes to the "P" on your rear valve. "T" on your rear valve goes to cooler. "A" and "B" to rear ram. If it's like that you should be good. I just got mine running with rocks and 52's and it steers fine with same pump and comp rear valve. I do have a second pump for the front though but it shouldn't matter if it's plumbed right. The only other thing I did different from the past rigs was the Amsoil synthetic tractor steering fluid. I haven't seen any other hydraulic steering quite this smooth. It bled super easy, no pump whining yet. If you want some pm , Cue.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Your pump should be feeding your "P" on your orbital. Your "T" on the orbital goes to cooler which in turn continues to the res. "L" and "R" go to the front ram of course. The Power beyond port on your orbital goes to the "P" on your rear valve. "T" on your rear valve goes to cooler. "A" and "B" to rear ram. If it's like that you should be good. I just got mine running with rocks and 52's and it steers fine with same pump and comp rear valve. I do have a second pump for the front though but it shouldn't matter if it's plumbed right. The only other thing I did different from the past rigs was the Amsoil synthetic tractor steering fluid. I haven't seen any other hydraulic steering quite this smooth. It bled super easy, no pump whining yet. If you want some pm , Cue.

i have the same problem.

all PSC stuff. my steerin gmakes a hell of alot of noise, heats up and then eventually blew the selas in the pump.

i called PSC they aent me a new pump.

i havn't received it yet but i bolted on my buddy;s new psc pump and the steerin gseams OK but is chirps at any RPM above 1200.

i'm less then impressed with this KIT. but PSC so far has had GREAT customer service.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
thats what i have except the rear steer comes form the Orbital to the rear valve then t-s into the res. it by passes the cooler.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replumbed friday morning with a new 4 port orbital instead of the 5 port,and plumbed like the diagram that dookey posted.I loaded it it the trailer and wheeled all weekend in Canada and had no issues.Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't thank me. Call Station @ POS and thank him! :D
Actually what you posted was worthless to me at the time because I wanted to run a 5 port orbital.Calvin at PSC decided to send me a 4 port and had me replumb.I believe what was happening is the rear steer valve return port sends the fluid back at full pressure if it is not being used,so it was pressurizing the res. and blowing the seal in the pump.Thanks for any help

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
Actually what you posted was worthless to me at the time because I wanted to run a 5 port orbital.Calvin at PSC decided to send me a 4 port and had me replumb.I believe what was happening is the rear steer valve return port sends the fluid back at full pressure if it is not being used,so it was pressurizing the res. and blowing the seal in the pump.Thanks for any help
Kelvin,

just an fyi

did that fix the problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts