Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. im going full hydro steer on my fj40 so i dont have to cut off my shock tower and get a ford one etc etc etc cause i would be using a fj60 box.
so im goin full hydro so i dont have to mess around and do a whole bunch of extra work,
ok now questions.
can i get an orbital valve that returns to center because im going to be driving on the road.
is the steering really wobbly at high speeds?
and any other info anyones got would be good.

·
Registered
212 Posts
no centering option available on any true hydro steering. Hydro assist and go w/ the sag box it is alot stronger then the 60 box . Either way there is the same amount of fab work Involved.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
load reactive oribital and a double ended ram is what you want.

they drive nice :D

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
load reactive oribital and a double ended ram is what you want.

they drive nice :D
The only correct and "true" post in here so far.......

Get a load reactive orbital and match it to a double-ended ram for about 3-4 turns lock to lock, with a pump that can move 6-7 gpm in the 1300 psi range and it will drive like a dream. Had mine gps'd at 93 mph with unbalanced 39.5 TSL's @ 5 lbs. I honestly dont' know why I didn't go full hydro on my current build. I bought a full PSC assist kit and it blows.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the load reactive returns it to center im asuming?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where abouts do i order the balanced double ended ram. performance offroad doesnt seem to state weather or not they are balanced.

·
Registered
259 Posts
where abouts do i order the balanced double ended ram. performance offroad doesnt seem to state weather or not they are balanced.
The ram isnt balanced. As far as I know all you need is the load reactive orbital and any double ended ram. Its what Im planning for my 40. Already have the orbital, just need to figure out what throw Im gonna need on the ram. Im thinking it should work fine mounted to the front of this axle truss. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/toyota-landcruiser-p-115.html

Im also deciding between triangulated 4 link or triangulated 3 link.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
the load reactive returns it to center im asuming?

The axle geometry returns it to center, just like it does with traditional steering. The load reactive orbital doesn't inerfere and "senses" the forces and allows things to move freely. The drawback is you can't steer with your pinky all the time, like the non-load reactive setups can.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does POS stand for.. piece of shit? lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wilson, and everybody for that matter. What are your feelings about a high quality full hydro system on a rig that is regularly driven on the street? I would like to go full hydro but a lot of people are telling me that it’s not safe. But a few people (who may have more experience) say that a good system is as reliable as the rig it’s installed on.

I’m kinda a nubie so any info is welcomed

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only correct and "true" post in here so far.......

Get a load reactive orbital and match it to a double-ended ram for about 3-4 turns lock to lock, with a pump that can move 6-7 gpm in the 1300 psi range and it will drive like a dream. Had mine gps'd at 93 mph with unbalanced 39.5 TSL's @ 5 lbs. I honestly dont' know why I didn't go full hydro on my current build. I bought a full PSC assist kit and it blows.

I guess I learned something new.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Wilson, and everybody for that matter. What are your feelings about a high quality full hydro system on a rig that is regularly driven on the street? I would like to go full hydro but a lot of people are telling me that it’s not safe. But a few people (who may have more experience) say that a good system is as reliable as the rig it’s installed on.

I’m kinda a nubie so any info is welcomed
Totally safe, if you trust your hose routing. Hoses just don't up and fail. if you check them regularly make sure they don't rub or get pinched, your true point of failure is a rod end, just like in a regular vehicle. You can still turn with full hydro and no power as long as your lines are intact. If you break a line and don't have the means to fix it, you are SOL. I wish I had gone full hydro on my 40. I got hung up on the street-driven thing, but it is nothing more than a mental block. The full hydro system I described above performed better offroad and arguably on road because it could keep up with my demands, whereas the PSC assist system cannot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Between you and most of the other people that seem to have actually had a good full hydro system (not just talking to talk) I think I know where my next paycheck is going!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
If you're planning on doing lots of street driving, go with hydro assist. I have full hydro from POS and it is nice, but still not as nice as having a regular steering box.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
My cruiser has never driven so precisely as it does with the full hydro. It also really eliminates any amount of wobble from bent wheels and the like.. Though I suppose a proper assist setup would be almost as good.

I just sized my orbital a little large (9.7 cu) for a 2.5" x 10" x 1.5" shaft ram, and it turns a little quick for street use, (under 3 turns lock to lock) but great on the trail for steering like mad when on the gas.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Totally safe, if you trust your hose routing. Hoses just don't up and fail. if you check them regularly make sure they don't rub or get pinched, your true point of failure is a rod end, just like in a regular vehicle. You can still turn with full hydro and no power as long as your lines are intact. If you break a line and don't have the means to fix it, you are SOL. I wish I had gone full hydro on my 40. I got hung up on the street-driven thing, but it is nothing more than a mental block. The full hydro system I described above performed better offroad and arguably on road because it could keep up with my demands, whereas the PSC assist system cannot.
not totally true. i drive a class A international work truck. it had less than 20,000 miles on it when the high pressure oil hose on the side of the block failed , it immediately shut the truck off at 60 mph on the freeway. it is an auto so steering the truck was a bi*ch. the hose is about 1 1/4 high pressure hose with an fittings on the end. it was almost new. so yes a hose can just up and fail. i have seen hydraulic lines on our work trucks blow and they are a couple of years old. anything is possible.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts