Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who can set me up with a complete system. i know i need an orbital, lines, cylinder. i know it has been discussed, but not alot, i need some detail. where can i find orbitas. can i use the powersteering pump off my 460. do i have to tweek it. or what.
what size cylinder. 2 inch bore x 8 inch long. will that work. could i go to a tractor place. or should i have some one custom make it for me. any websites who make these setups, and how much money should i expect to pay. do i needt run coolers or is there enough fluid for it to stay cool

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you talking about using the ram steering instead of power steering or in addition to power steering?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
full hydro, no steering box or steering shaft. orbital, pump, lines, ram. ive torn my box off the frame one too many times.
this will be sweet. hook it up some one, need some help

·
Registered
409 Posts
Talk toy theLakeRat......he can hook you up with a setup using your existing box and everything, he has to re-plumb it or something, not certain, but it is pretty cheap compared to a Rock-Ram or similar setup. He has a website too with some info about it on there.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
He's after full Hydraulic steering by the sounds of it not hydro assist.

Rhino

·
Registered
679 Posts
we just had this discussion...go back a few days...I don't know of anyone putting the parts together for you. the ford ps pump should work without tweeeking, a cooler is necessary.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes i know it was dscussed but i ddnt like the answers
no places to get it made
pat

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You can get the Hydraulic Orbitul At L&G Hydraulic Supply They Have the Ram's as Well

I have Elected to Use Chief Welded 2inch Bore 8 Inch Stroke Cylinder's in my Configuration's You can use A Higher Volume Pump I would Suggest A Howe Pump Since they put Out the Volume Of Abut 1200 to 1600 Psi This greatly increase''s you'r Ability to turn !!

I have used the Full hydro with stock power steering pump and was not impressed but the rig had 44 inch tall tires and I expected more ! this is why suggest a higher volume pump!!!!!! let me know if you need part#'s

the L&G is in West Sac near Drive line Sevice if you know Where that is ???

Adam,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You Are Gonna Have to Shop Around For lines HPS in Rancho Cordova makes Lines Ass well As L&G But Money Is the Difference you Can Get As expensive or as cheap as you want pretty important to get good lines!!!!!

Adam,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I would think using the power steering pump with a hydraulic ram would be marginal at best. Most hydraulic rams work on volume as well as pressure, therefore it would be best to start with the proper pump in the first place.
The best thing to do is get friendly with your local hydraulics dealer, or, their is a company called Northern Tool and Equipement that I use. They have everything you need except the orbital valve. Here is their address.
Northern Tool and Equipement
P.O. box 1499
Burnsville Mn 55337-0499
1(800)533-5545

NorthernTool.com

·
Registered
84 Posts
First of all what tires, locker, and axle are you working with. Second most hydraulic shops will not have the slightest clue what you are doing. Your pump should be fine if you are running anything 40's or less anything bigger could benefit from a bigger pump. You will need to run a cooler. You want to run the 2"x8" ram. Finally the most important part of the setup the orbital steering valve. This part determines how fast or slow the rig steers, you can make your rig turn lock to lock in 1 turn or 10 turns. If you want part# e-mail me. Do not go to any steering company for these parts they are run of the mill tractor parts that you can buy at any hydraulic shop for way cheaper. You can do the whole setup for less than $500. [email protected]

·
Registered
388 Posts
Im running a Char-Lynn orbital valve and ram with an inline check valve and cooler. You most definately can use a standard GM pump but for duabilty and better proformance I went with a high volume high pressure pump built by Lee Manufacturing.

The whole set up can be bought through Boyce Equipment in Utah.
www.boyceequipment.com

Give them a call and ask for Jim Boyce, hes a great guy and will answer all your questions.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Originally posted by BeaconBasher:
<STRONG>First of all what tires, locker, and axle are you working with. Second most hydraulic shops will not have the slightest clue what you are doing. Your pump should be fine if you are running anything 40's or less anything bigger could benefit from a bigger pump. You will need to run a cooler. You want to run the 2"x8" ram. Finally the most important part of the setup the orbital steering valve. This part determines how fast or slow the rig steers, you can make your rig turn lock to lock in 1 turn or 10 turns. If you want part# e-mail me. Do not go to any steering company for these parts they are run of the mill tractor parts that you can buy at any hydraulic shop for way cheaper. You can do the whole setup for less than $500. [email protected]</STRONG>
COOL! I would be very interested in a faster valve than the one im running now, its about 2.5 turns lock to lock. Have you ever heard of anyone modifying a valve? Should I just replace old one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts